What hinges - Tiled Cupboard - hiding stopcock etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating my downstairs bathroom and in that room I have the main vertical riser with my copper waste pipe; hot & cold water; and a few electrical shut off switches. Access to this cupboard is therefore imperative.

previously this area was covered in 3mm painted ply and looked awful. I am therefore rebuilding the whole cupboard in proper structural wood with the aim of having an 18mm ply cupboard door which would be tiled.

The door will be 500mm wide and 1500mm tall. This would normally be fine to use wardrobe type hinges but I fear the weight of the tiles will be an issue. I am more than happy to put 8 hinges on to give it more stability but am wondering if that will be enough. Does anyone have any ideas of how to achieve an opening like this? Having a pull-out insert also wont be an option as it would be too heavy to lift?

I am sure that I cannot be the only one with such a requirement so if you could pass me your wisdom I would appreciate it :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back