internal dpc fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
stripped my walls a couple of weeks ago and was preparing to plasterboard and plaster,but i noticed a discolored area running about 12" above the skirting a few days ago .It wasn't a massive area so i borrowed a damp tester, placed it on the wall let a it let out a loud squeak :( ..So i tested all the walls and it ranged from high squeaking to some thing that sounded like morse code .asked me old fella wot was goin on and he said the dpc had failed thats why it was squeaking.
can anybody offer any advice pls what i could do to remedy this.

Sponsored Links
there are quite a few options depending on how much you feel the problem is, how much free cash and your outlook for the future.

i would say (but not enough info in your post to be certain) that you have what's called rising damp. to fix it the plaster needs to come off and you will need to get quotes from local contractors (search the forum to swot up on all the various issues)

alternatively you could just paint the walls with stain block. it wont stop the damp but would improve the aesthetics.

the trouble is that it will be difficult to sell the house with the damp. the buyer won't be able to get a mortgage if the surveyor spots the damp (he may he may not - most will). you would more than likely have to sell to a cash buyer who would expect a reduction in price to cover the damp proofing cost.

if you any more info just ask.

It does sound like rising damp, but here is a simple test to distinguish between that and dampness caused by condensation.

Wipe an area of the affected wall dry.

Tape a square of tin foil (say 250mm sq) to the area, sealing the edges with the tape.

Wait for a few days, or as long as you like, a week or two.
Remove the tinfoil.

If the water droplets are on the outside of the foil, it's likely to be condensation caused by poor ventilation .

If it is on the inside then it's rising damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back