Internal extractor fan question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

I've just been slightly under the weather recently . So hope you're all well.

I've just got a quick question about a extractors fan in the flat. The cooker is not facing an external wall or window.

So will need an extractor fan that will not need an external wall.

Can anyone recommend what I should search for or recommend me particular one?

The kitchen and Lounge is all 1 open floor so it's important to extract cooking smells.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. Not really a plumbing question, but look for "recirculating cooker extractors".
2. Recirculating extractors are not as good at removing smells as ducted extractors.
3. Look for ones with charcoal filters, which are better at removing smells.
4. Before buying, check the prices of new filters (ordinary and charcoal ones if going for charcoal).
5. You need to change the filters regularly.

So will need an extractor fan that will not need an external wall.

A cooker hood, is what you need, better than just an extract fan, because they remove the moist air and smell, at source. Recirculating cooker hoods are next to useless, you need one which exhausts the air outdoors. Can reasonably sized duct or pipe be run from above your cooker, to an outside wall?

Last edited:
A standard re-circulating cooker hood will help a little bit as long as you change the filters regularly BUT could you have ducting running around the room and out?

Sponsored Links
1. Not really a plumbing question, but look for "recirculating cooker extractors".
2. Recirculating extractors are not as good at removing smells as ducted extractors.
3. Look for ones with charcoal filters, which are better at removing smells.
4. Before buying, check the prices of new filters (ordinary and charcoal ones if going for charcoal).
5. You need to change the filters regularly.

Thank you so much for this. Nicely explained. Is charcoal filters the same as carbon filters pe are they both different ?

A cooker hood, is what you need, better than just an extract fan, because they remove the air at source. Recirculating cooker hoods are next to useless, you need one which exhausts the air outdoors. Can reasonably sized duct or pipe be run from above your cooker, to an outside wall?

As I'm renting. I don't think the landlord will be happy for me to make holes in the external.

Yes you're right mate.

So what's the difference between carbon and charcoal filter?

Yes you're right mate.

So what's the difference between carbon and charcoal filter?

Carbon can cost more, and the filters will need changing often, if you do much cooking. I fitted one decades ago, only slightly better than a waste of money, you need an extract type, to do the job properly. I think they, extract, are now a requirement, in new property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back