Internal firedoor to garage concern!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and happy new Year.
I have a garage joined to the side of my house and an internal door leads into it. I have been reading on this site about the fire resistant requirements that these doors need to have and now I am concerned.

When I bought my house I removed the original fire safety door – which had an automatic closer on it because I was convinced it was only a matter of time before my very young and enquisitive daughter lost some fingers in the opening. The automatic closer used to snap it shut at the last moment with ferocity so I didn't give it a second thought and replaced it with a normal interior door.

I am concerned now that it is not up to standard and I wondered if anybody would kindly offer up their thoughts or some alternative suggestions to get the door back up to standard but without the firedoor weight and fear of lost fingers.

Thankyou very much

Sponsored Links
Yes there should be a fire door there and the garage floor level should also be if I remember righty 100mm lower. I don't know the type of door closer you have but there's many good one out there which most of them are adjustable to stop the slamming, you may find yours is adjustable.

You're not alone, I have seen many clients have done this but when claiming of your building insurance you may find your insurance company won't pay out for any damaged.

They are many properties are not insured just because of no mortice lock on the front door and people find out the hard way :!:

You can buy a plastic strip that goes down the side of the door which prevents little fingers getting trapped in the hinge side gap. you see a lot in pubs and restaurants.

I will see if I can find a link.

Sponsored Links
the overhead door closers you used to see in offices can be adjusted to slow the final shut but are rather expensive and unsightly.

simpler concealed springs like the Perko are liable to slam if there is any air movement

flush fire doors are quite cheap but heavy. If you want panelled ones they start at about £50. you ought to have a smoke and intumescent strip too, and heavy hinges.

BTW garage doors are very easy to force so you need a secure door between house and garage

That Kindaguard looks excellent!

Lol at 'billioustrumpstain' :LOL:

I couldnt stop laughing at that username.
no offence intended billious ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back