Odd sized frames...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace all 7 internal doors in my house.

The problem I have is three of my door frames are unusually sized, 730mm wide. I really like this Wickes Geneva Internal Oak Veneer but none of the standard sizes will trim down to fit these door frames.

My builder strongly advised me to get the firedoor (expensive) versions from Howdens which can be trimmed down to fit. (The Wickes FD versions are only trimmable up to 3mm) I'm not keen on the Howdens versions as the groves are too deep.

My friend had the exact same problem with these doors and his builder managed to bodge it by packing about 1" of timber around the frame and said they seem fine?

Should I go with my builders advice or can I do what my friend has done?

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin

Sponsored Links
If you say 726mm is a standard door width then why would Wickes stock 4 sizes that are no where near 726mm for this type of door??

Are you sure you haven't mixed the 6 and 2 and you mean 762mm is the standard door width?!

These are the for sizes they stock for the type of door I'm after:
1981x610mm
1981x686mm
1981x762mm
1981x838mm

(max trimmable 20mm)

Last edited:
726 is a standard metric size. You may be restricted as to which designs come in 1981 or 2024 height size

Sponsored Links
If you say 726mm is a standard door width then why would Wickes stock 4 sizes that are no where near 726mm for this type of door??

Are you sure you haven't mixed the 6 and 2 and you mean 762mm is the standard door width?!

These are the for sizes they stock for the type of door I'm after:
1981x610mm
1981x686mm
1981x762mm
1981x838mm

(max trimmable 20mm)
Wickes only do a fraction of the door sizes available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back