Internal garage regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long time no see, hope all are well! Slowly getting my life back together, however my question is,

I want to convert my front bungalow dining room into an internal garage, I'm struggling to find the correct building regulations, all I'm seeing is converting a garage into a room.

I know years ago, the concrete floor sloped to front and 100mm lower, non-combustible wall and 30mins fire door, is this still the same or could you point me to any latest building regulations link, I'm sure I don't need planning permission but just building regulations?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
1. slope to front, or 100mm step or coaming down from the house.
2. 30 min fire door plus self-closer.
3. There will need to be some insulation on the walls as the garage will be regarded as unheated space.

Thanks Tony, so I can do this without notifying building control providing I follow the building regs?

I also got spiral staircase in the back corner of the room which will be divided by a new brick wall approx 1.2m from the back existing wall right across forming a new hall way to the spiral stairs, can this wall be timber/stud wall with plasterboard or doesn't count as non-combustible wall?

You do still need to notify Building Control because you are altering the thermal- and fire-safety situation. You can use your local councils' building control service or an Approved Private Inspector. Either way you will get the Certificate on completion.

You can use a stud wall, but it would need to be thermally insulated and fire-resistant from the garage side for a minimum 30 minutes.
I think the wall might also need to have a degree of sound insulation (hopefully someone else could clarify). This can often be achieved by adding mass, such as extra sheets of plasterboard lining.

Sponsored Links
It would be best to submit a Full Plans Submission for bldg. regs approval. This will include construction notes/specification and when approved you will know how it should be built before any work starts on site. You will need a building designer , architect or architectural technician , to prepare the drawings and preferably submit the application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back