Internal insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to start work on internal insulation on my old, solid wall house. Its quite damp on one wall in particular and I have some ideas on solving the damp (french trench, chemical damp proof course, fixing render etc) but my question is:

What would be the best method of internal insulation for a damp house?

I have heard many different ideas but would love to ask on here, whats worth doing and what should I avoid? Links to products would be great.

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam.

Where a wall has the possibility of being damp it would be best to leave an airspace of 25mm between the wall and then construct an independent timber frame.

Assuming a 9” (215mm) solid wall then typically 75mm Celotex GA4000 between these studs would meet the required 0.3 U value for a wall refurbishment.

It is then important that a continuous vapour control layer such as 1000 gauge polythene is placed across the inside face of the studs before the plasterboard is fixed up.

Hope that's of some help.

Thanks for your reply Jamie (sorry delayed). While I fully agree that your solution is viable, I have an issue with the amount of space im going to loose. I then discovered a product by Marmox.

Im not 100% sure on a few things so im going to ask a few questions:

1) I think I can attach these boards straight onto the damp wall (after doing my best to sort out the damp issue) as they are water proof. This means I can reduce the space taken up dramatically. Has anyone attached these boards in damp conditions?

2) I am still very confused about how to calculate U values and what values should I be looking to achieve. I have a 225mm sold wall with outer render. Can anyone explain how I work it out? The R value of Marmox 40mm is 1.22 and 50mm is 1.53

Sponsored Links
No point having a 25mm cavity between the insulation and wall, unless this is ventillated to the outside.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/eehb-insulating-solid-walls/

You can download a free trial programe called build-desk to calculate u-values.

Assuming the damp is not from external sources (or this is fixed) and it is caused by condensation, then it may be possible to affix insulated plasterboard which incorporates a VCL direct to the internal wall surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back