Internal lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have taken the door frame out to be replaced and found there is no lintel couple of questions.

What type of lintel do I need?

And how to fit it ie props, how far to up to put the lintel?

I have fitted many lintels before mainly on new builds so just need a stating point really.

Thanks nath

Sponsored Links
What type of lintel do I need?

That depends on what's above (hopefully not much given that it's now supported by a couple of diagonal bits of wood). If it's just a few courses of bricks and no joists etc I believe you can use the corrugated metal lintels, otherwise a concrete pre-stressed one of suitable width to give the correct overlap on the bricks either side. Given there's next to no difference in retail price between them, you could choose to over spec and use concrete anyway. More experience responders may even suggest a bit of suitable wood or even just the new door frame, but without knowing what's above noone can say.

Corrugated http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/220067
Concrete http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/220307

And how to fit it ie props, how far to up to put the lintel?

normally you fit the lintel just above where you want the top of the frame.

I have fitted many lintels before mainly on new builds so just need a stating point really.

Surely you would know what to do then?

Hi there is nothing above the wall and the joists run with the wall first thing I checked. Ye I have used rsg, box, L shape and hat lintels before but didn't know what to use but thanks to your help think al go down the corrugated route. I will put it in the nearest bed joint and put a sliver as the top course doesn't line in.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi I went and got a lintel and started to remove the falling bricks and there was a wooden lintel there lol just got a 7 inch gap to pack out to the new frame now. What would be best to pack it out with. Am thinking lightweight brickets and mortor and dot and dab down the sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back