Internal Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. Having a new front door fitted this week. Unfortunately on removing the old PVC door (which was getting hard to open- connected perhaps) it seems there was no internal lintel above the frame, only a layer of bricks, a couple of which came loose and dropped down. See pics of inside and outside.
It is a 1940s house and presumably had a timber door frame originally, which provided adequate support to the internal wall. There is an lintel on the outside of the house, presumably holding up the external brick layer.

Foam has been sprayed above the frame at the moment up to the dopped bricks on the right hand side. My question is whether you think a lintel should be installed above the frame instead, to hold up the brickwork? I'm no professional, so would appreciate a second opinion on this!

IMG_20231212_105633620.jpg

IMG_20231212_110531609.jpg

IMG_20231212_105647746.jpg

Sponsored Links
check if the lintel is above that line of bricks.
They might've been added at later date.
If not, I would have installed a lintel, but it's too late for you now that the door is in.

Thanks Johnny, I can't see much without disturbing more of the plaster, but what I think I can see in the corner is wood. Is is possible to have a wooden beam/lintel with brickwork filling the space below?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Johnny, I can't see much without disturbing more of the plaster, but what I think I can see in the corner is wood. Is is possible to have a wooden beam/lintel with brickwork filling the space below?
Yes, possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back