Internal Partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been set a task to do within the home, I feel confident in carrying it out after reading a few posts on here and looking in the diy manuals.

The partition itself is to split a room in two, no door, more of an archway but without the arch.

3 foot partition x 4 foot opening x 2 foot partition with about a drop of 6 inches above opening. (7ft from floor to ceiling).

Firstly, my questions was what timber size would be most suitable for this job, some posters have indicated 3 x 2 others 4 x 2, then deciding on planed or unplaned.

Do I need more noggins if I use 3 x 2 and if so what space should I be putting between each one.

My main concern was, as the ceilings beams do not run parallel to the partition I am going to construct, how do I find each beam in the ceiling to screw the top joist into?

What is the correct order for putting up joists?

What screws should I use, how long, different types for each surface, the floor and wall is concrete.

With the plasterboard, will it cover the exposed joist wood around the opening as my plan is to put some quality wood around it.

How long would it normally take to do a job like this? Does it require 2 people?

It may sound as if I'm not confident by all the questions, but once I have the answers I'll be raring to go.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, my questions was what timber size would be most suitable for this job, some posters have indicated 3 x 2 others 4 x 2, then deciding on planed or unplaned.
It's personal choice and depending how much room do you want. largely based on the space you have
Do I need more noggins if I use 3 x 2 and if so what space should I be putting between each one.
You need to work it out so the plasterboards edge is on the centre of the timber studs, vertical & horizontal. I mainly use 4"x2" as it's easier to put in 4" rockwall insulation
My main concern was, as the ceilings beams do not run parallel to the partition I am going to construct, how do I find each beam in the ceiling to screw the top joist into?
Carefully using a thin blunt small screwdriver push through the ceiling to mark it
ceiling.gif

What is the correct order for putting up joists?
Put 2 x 50mm timber together on the floor (total height 100mm) and cut roughly another timber upstand from floor to ceiling for the vertical timber, push the timber to the ceiling and mark the line against the top of the 100mm wallplate at the bottom and do the same at the other end. Put down the bottom wallplate and rest the 2 vertical timber in a slight angle against the wall and rest carefully the ceiling wallplate on top of the vertical timber both side then slide the bottom of the timber back the wall, will need 2 people to do this, although I have done it many time on my own!
What screws should I use, how long, different types for each surface, the floor and wall is concrete.
Approximately 75mm screws and fischer screws for the wall
How long would it normally take to do a job like this?
Depending on your capability, it can be done in 1 day
Does it require 2 people?
Depends but it's easier with 2 people
It may sound as if I'm not confident by all the questions, but once I have the answers I'll be raring to go.
What are you waiting for :?: ;)

Some more details here

http://diydata.com/projects/partition/partition_framework.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back