Garage partition wall/room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, been reading here for a while now but my first post.

I have recently bought a new build house with an attached garage.
The garage is only accessable via the up and over door and the service door at the right hand side which is accessed via the garden. (garage is 70% attached to house and 30% off the back of house if that makes sense)

So, i do a lot of IT work and would like to setup a little server/office room (not for working, just somewhere where i can set my pc/servers up and leave them and ensuring that they dont suffer from damp like they did in my old garage which was completly detached and single bricked.

So, the wife doesnt want me to convert the whole garage as i have a 4 year old son who has LOADS of garden toys and we all have bikes and a LOT of camping gear.

So.... the plan is to put up a partition wall so i can have about 30% of the garage for a small room for my tools and pc gear etc.

The left hand side wall is made of breeze block, the other side is single brick as its the part that hangs off the end of the house and has the service door on etc and the back wall is single skin.

How would be best to go about this?

I'm OK with DIY and would like to try this job myself but i wouldnt mind a bit of advice on this please.

Would i build up the partitions with 2" x 4" beams? would smaller beams work or not?

Would i also do this for the breeze block wall or could i just dot & dab and plaster board it?

I was hoping to build up a cube type shape in the garage with 2" x 4" and plasterboard it with maybe rolls of insulate inside.

At first i'm going to put some carpet down but i may add a floor at a later date, woudl i be able to do this by laying wood beams round the inside edges of the walls and run beams accross the floor and nail down wood floor panels??

Again, any advice is appreciated but im very keen to do this all myself.

Much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back