Altering room divider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post here so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a stud partition divider between my living room and dining room. It's basically an open archway much like you might see in many houses. So there are two sides and an arch over the top and then there is coving around the ceiling.

I would like to try and open this up a bit without actually removing the whole partition as I don't really want to repair a hole in the wooden floor and re-plaster the ceiling. My thought is to cut the sides off at around the height of the sofa arms and then cut the top off leaving a small beam across the ceiling. So basically from the height of the sofa up to as high to the ceiling as I dare go the whole thing would just be cut away.

My two questions are: What would be the best tools to do the cutting and make sure it's a nice clean straight cut and also what would this do to the stability to the wooden beams underneath, would it just ruin the whole partition or would it be fine?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back