Internal sand cement render thickness

U

User

Hiya I plan to tile directly over sand cement render in the bathroom (I mean after letting it dry then using tile adhesive)

Is it okay to do 1st coat 12.5mm and 2nd 12.5mm cus I plan to use 2 strips of 12.5 plasterboard as guides that would be very convenient

Is that okay to have 1st and 2nd coat 12.5mm? Because I'm putting heavy tiles on top wanna be sure any help please please greatly appreciated thank you

Sponsored Links
Is it okay to do 1st coat 12.5mm and 2nd 12.5mm cus I plan to use 2 strips of 12.5 plasterboard as guides that would be very convenient

in that case why not use 2 x 9.5mm plasterboard strips.

you wouldn't normally measure the render coats, just apply what is practical. the scratch coat will deal with the suction and any serious humps or hollows. make sure the wall is damped down. the float coat will take up any more deviations and be thick enough to allow you to rule off and float/sponge up.

in't old days, tiles were fixed using the render as an adhesive.

good idea noseall but I've only got 12.5 unfortunately too much hassle getting another blobby plasterboard I take your point about measuring it's just I need something to rule off to keep it flat and level

the problem with using plasterboard strips as ruling screeds is they get wet and deform. you would be better with timber.

Sponsored Links
ah dang okay i might wrap them up in polythene then and look for some suitable timbers I was mainly worried that 25mm might be abit thick for render but it seems okay thanx mr noseall appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back