Internal wall insulation Celotex Tb4000/GA4000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I will be insulating my kitchen walls shortly from the inside (walls are back to plaster) which are solid brick - 2 brick width.
Options look like Celotex whcih are coming in quite competitive to Kingspan for example.
Have seen the TB4000, GA4000 and PL4000 ranges.
Benefits of PL4000 is that the 12.5mm PB is already bonded to the PIR, so I could just have the boards dot and dabbed to the wall.
Howver PL4000 boards are quite pricey.

The TB4000 range is just the insulation, but designed for thermal bridges according to celotex website. However, does anyone know if it can be used for the same applications as GA4000 as the sspec looks very similar?

I was thinking of getting the insulation, bonding it to the wall (guess it would have to be battens), then bonding PB to the insulation, effectively making up a Pl4000 sheet. But as its foilbacked, not sure adhesive would stick well to it.

For example, Pl4000 40mm + 12.5mm PB is coming out at roughly 40 + vat for 8x4, whereas 35mm TB4000 is approx 18+ vat plus say 7/8 for 12.5mm PB.

Anyone used any of the above - if so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just fit your battens to the wall then screw your plasterboard into the battens, sandwiching the insulation in between. Nobody bonds the board to the insulation.

You have to weigh up the overall costs of each method.

Whilst using seperate materials may be chaepr in material costs (don't forget the screws etc) it will take longer. Depends if you're DIYing or not.

There is an expanding foam that is made to bond plasterboard, not sure about insulated plasterboard as I have never used it.

Thanks guys I might just bite the bullet and go for insulated boards. This should help me minimise the amount of space I lose due to thickness of insulation.
At 45/board though it is a lot, yikes!

Am tempted go for the TB4000 so have sent a query off to celotex to ask abotu the technical spec differences between TB4000 and GA4000.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I might just bite the bullet and go for insulated boards. This should help me minimise the amount of space I lose due to thickness of insulation.
At 45/board though it is a lot, yikes!

Am tempted go for the TB4000 so have sent a query off to celotex to ask abotu the technical spec differences between TB4000 and GA4000.

I would be very interested to hear what Celotex have to say as I am soon to be in a similar situation - please keep us updated !

Sorry to piggyback this thread but...

The lower 1.0m of my kitchen walls (beneath the work surface) is prone to condensation.

So I was planning on Celotexing the lower 1.0m only... (is this common practice?) could I just strip back to the brick work, batten up and install the celotex under new plasterboard... is that all there is to it?

The battens would need to be thick enough presumably to take a decent length screw and the weight of the Celotex and plasterboard...

Thanks
JP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back