Internal waste issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

First time of posting

Need some advice.

I have just moved into a block of 8 flats of which I am on the second floor. I appear to have a problem with my drainage system ay home. Kitchen sink very slow to drain. Washing machine not draining at all but was draining back into sink. All waste pipes are run behind kitchen cupboards to a central hdden stack in the bathroom. The toilet is flushing normally so I am assuming the problem is with me internally. The flat had previously been let out and I think the cleanliness of the tenants left a lot to be desired so I would not be surprised if they had thrown all sorts down the sink!!!

I purchased a master plunger but this did not seem to do much to ease the problem. I feel it is probably blocked behind my cupboards. Is there anything that I can do to avoid taking out the back of my cupboards to get access? There is an access point under the sink but the waste then turns immediately at a right angle so would experience difficulty getting round the bend tool. Hope this all makes sense!!!

Any help would be grately appreciated as the flat is really starting to smell!!!
:(

Sponsored Links
Be aware first how the washing machine is connected to the sink drain. It'll either be on a "spigot" on the trap or an open stand pipe. Plunging at the sink will just push water/air into the washing machine pipe.

It's best to separate it and blank things off while you're working on the sink drain - not easy.

Try:
tip a big saucepanful of boiling water down the sink. It's pretty good at dissolving goo.
Buy a cheap drain snake spring , dismantle the trap under the sink, and poke it in as far as you can. Repeat from the WM trap if there is one.

If that doesn't work, you can try "Mr Muscle" type drain cleaner left for a while, (helps if drain warmed up first). Ultimately, there's professional drain cleaner which contains sulphuric acid - but only for someone who know's what they're dealing with.
DOn't use bleach and never mix chemicals.

I've had a case like this where it was simply that the 40mm pipe sat in a shelf made for many 40mm junctions of the soil stack, the installer had cut the pipe too long so that it was too low on the shelf easily blocked which backflowed right back into the dishwasher. I had to cut down his pipe so that the elbow interfering with the shelf joint prevented this scenario. He had also omitted to clean off the burr, which we all know is a big no no as debris clings to the rough edge builds up and a few years down the line a question like this comes up on diynot.

In my experience actually taking the waste apart section by section reveals a number of these eroors not the least of which is incorrect diameter for distance and incorrect little or no drop.

In any event if it were my place I would check everything and rebuild the ducting/boxing so as to allow access in future. I do not bow down to the great god of the home makeover, prefering functional architecture, which has a beaty of it's own.

because in this day and age people decide to know so little of how things work they don't realise the idiot program makers are seting them up for great future expense.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back