Internal window frame coming off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My internal window frames are cracked and pulling away from the wall and letting draught in.

How can I best repair this?

I have looked online and there seems varying advice with regards to caulk, glue and expanding foam.

If I press my hand against the frame it pushes against the wall.

Thanks

Nathan.

Attachments

• 76D3DA34-DEE1-4AEA-8775-DEB21DA08162.jpeg
    76D3DA34-DEE1-4AEA-8775-DEB21DA08162.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Is it a wooden frame? If so, it has probably shrunk so needs to be secures back to the wall.
You could use things like caulk and expanding foam etc but, personally, I would be looking to screw it securely to the brick work behind.
A couple of screws, 1 x top, 1 x near bottom and 1 x central, countersunk below the surface of the wood, some filler, sand down smooth and paint.

Others may have different suggestions.

Are you referring to the hairline crack in the sealant?

Use a craft knife to cut the old sealant off. Apply new sealant of your choice

Or leave it

Sponsored Links
Dunno what we're looking at there, a better photo and description would help. The answers to your questions will only ever be as good as the effort you put ino asking them.

The material is plastic and I cannot see any visible screws so I would be hesitant to do this and risk cracking.

With regards to the second question, yes I am referring to the crack all the way down the sealant. The reason we don’t want to leave it is because it’s letting a draught in.

Thank you

Dunno what we're looking at there, a better photo and description would help. The answers to your questions will only ever be as good as the effort you put ino asking them.
Apologies for not being clear. Does this image help?

Attachments

• 4044A649-6943-4D17-A9A2-A42F897C5406.jpeg
    4044A649-6943-4D17-A9A2-A42F897C5406.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 78
The reason we don’t want to leave it is because it’s letting a draught in
Indicative that there's a bigger problem than that.. Sealing it up may stop the draught you can feel but the cold world air is still reaching all the way behind all the window surround material; it would be better sealed at source (re-do/do the job of foaming the window in with a good, consistent bead of expanding foam, for example) but if you're determined to resolve just the draught coming through the crack my earlier advice remains unchanged - redo the sealant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back