Internet access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am still on antique dial up because I travel between wto houses and use my laptop. At each house I can plug in to the phone line and dial up. If I switch to broad band at one house I can no longer do this! BT have told me I can have two broad band accounts and therefore x2 the cost. What do other people do who move around UK and what to access their email from private houses? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nothing to stop you having a dialup at one property and a broadband connection at the other.Just use the modem for dialup and either a usb or ethernet connection at the other. Or have I missed the point somewhere.

Unlike dial up, Broadband is specific to the line and exchange equipment. If you want ADSL at both locations, you would have to have 2 accounts. An alternative depending on cost of running 2 DSL's and usage might be to look into a mobile 3G card for your laptop. Would probably work out more expensive though.

MarkBarl said:
Unlike dial up, Broadband is specific to the line and exchange equipment.

I don't understand that :confused: I have a Broadband at home but can access email and anything else I want via dial-up

Sponsored Links
I am with "zen" and can access my email via dial up or someone elses broadband.

If the "other" location has a broadband connection already, you should have no difficulty connecting through it, with the owners permission of course. It would be easier and more secure if a router was available to connect through. The only difficulty you may experience is sending emails. Most isps use authenticated SMTP, so you may have to alter your SMTP settings temporarily, while you are at the remote site.

JohnD said:
MarkBarl said:
Unlike dial up, Broadband is specific to the line and exchange equipment.

I don't understand that :confused: I have a Broadband at home but can access email and anything else I want via dial-up

I was referring to the physical provision of the Broadband connection, as opposed to just accessing the internet. Dial up can use any old phone line, as it makes a phone call. Broadband uses equipment at the exchange end of your phone line that is configured to connect to your ISP. This is why it takes up to 10 days to change ISP's as they have to make changes to the exchange, you can't just put your new connection details in, you have to wait for their configuration.

Thus for the problem presented by the OP, there would have to be exchange work carried out at the exchange end of both ends of the phone lines in the two locations to have broadband at both locations, requiring two ADSL accounts.

Possibly I have missed the point, but you can access your mail from any where in the world. As example, if you were using BTYahoo then you logon using your normal account with [email protected]. If you want to you can use a pay as you go account dialling the following 0845 7560000 or read through the following link.All you have to do is set up a dial up connection manually for the first time and away you go.I use a laptop wireless and wired at home, wireless by openzone or dial up when on the move.

http://www.filesaveas.com/btyahoo.html

Sorry, forgot to mention that if you want to use dial up then if you have an existing BT account then just put those details into the logon screen.It saves registering again with a new account.

Sponsored Links
Back