Internet Explorer Keeps "Freezing"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a relatively new Dell Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. When browsing via Internet Explorer I am finding that this regularly freezes and the program stops responding. Whereas I have been ending the programme via Task Manager and then restarting it I dont think I should be doing this 3 or 4 times daily.

I am connected to the internet via a Siemens Wireless Router, provided by Tiscali.

It does not happen with any other programmes and I am wondering whether there is a simple explanation for this.

I have deleted all my browsing history and checked for Spyware but it has not helped anyone else had this problem and how did you remedy it?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is one of problems i am having with laptop besides some others and cant get to botton of it, hope somone helps us out.

It was suggested to me to download Mozilla Firefox and use that. Does anyone have any comments to support (or not!) this.

Thanks

i have that on my desktop is is better than explorer, i suppose ill giv it a try

Sponsored Links
It would make trying to diagnose the problem easier if you both downloaded Firefox v3.0.11 from:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.11/releasenotes/
Then if that does not freeze, it rules out a problem with your wireless connections and points to which ever version of Internet Explorer you have installed.

If the finger points at IE, try updating to the latest version of IE8, if you do not already have it installed.

With Firefox, you can import your Favourites from IE, which are called Bookmarks in FF.

dave

That was exactly why I stopped using IE and changed over to Firefox.

It's faster as well I think

If I do have to use IE (there are still one or two sites that don't show properly on FF), I stayed with version 6 because it seems to have slightly less problems than the newer versions. My brother is using version 7 IE and it is absolutely tragic for being slow and freezing up.

Can only presume you had issues with your IE install as I have been using IE8 for some time now and love it, its so much faster than any browser I have used and i've tried all the other ones.

*IF* you are using ie 8, then it does have some issues with websites designed for previous versions of ie (i.e. ie7!). Try selecting "compatability mode". I have had several sites that, although not freezing up ie, would not display correctly (warning triangle in bottom left corner, and drop down menus etc freezing/not linking).

Give it a try

You're problem is probably more to do with the operating system you have, windows vista seems quite buggy to me.

Thank you for all the replies/advice. I downloaded Firefox last night, I haven't had a long session on the laptop since. Initial thoughts were that it is faster than IE (btw the laptop came with version 7).

My son was using it all last night and informed me it did not lock once. I will report back if the problem occurs whilst using Firefox.

One last question, sorry, I read somewhere that IE is needed for Windows Updates, will these still happen automatically as they do now, even though my default is Firefox.

Many Thanks

Denise

Thank you for all the replies/advice. I downloaded Firefox last night, I haven't had a long session on the laptop since. Initial thoughts were that it is faster than IE (btw the laptop came with version 7).

My son was using it all last night and informed me it did not lock once. I will report back if the problem occurs whilst using Firefox.

One last question, sorry, I read somewhere that IE is needed for Windows Updates, will these still happen automatically as they do now, even though my default is Firefox.

Many Thanks

Denise

You cannot uninstall IE (well that's not strictly true), it forms part of the operating system.

Can only presume you had issues with your IE install as I have been using IE8 for some time now and love it, its so much faster than any browser I have used and i've tried all the other ones.
Prove it ! Level playing fields and all of that - If you can find one.

:D

just by personal experience pip i have found IE8 the best of the bunch

it does all i ask of it.

You can remove IE in the Control Panel>Add Remove Programmes and it won't show up on your desktop but I think it's still there. This is how I removed IE, but I can still access it via MSN Messenger (though not in the brand new updated version) and I still get all my updates, etc. You just gotta watch that it's not wanting to update IE!!!

Sponsored Links
Back