Internet working but no tone on phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have the internet (although it is alot slower than it should be). The main problem is I have no tone on my phone. I can't ring out and no one can ring in. I tried a different master socket but there was no change.

Could it be a problem at the exchange?

If so, why do I still have internet?

Could I need a new NTE5 master socket?

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Sponsored Links
could be a faulty filter try the primery socket without a filter

internet can work along 1 wire

Do people trying to call you just hear ringing, or do they get a busy signal?

If the latter, then there is a short on the line somewhere; if the former, it's open.

Either way:

Remove the lower panel from the NTE5 to disconnect your internal extension wiring (if any extensions have been connected directly to the A/B terminals where the drop wire terminates, remove those too).

Plug a known good phone into the test jack on the NTE5. If you still get no dial tone, there's a fault on the outside line plant or at the exchange. If it works, it's time to start looking for a fault on your own internal wiring.

Hi, I have the internet (although it is alot slower than it should be). The main problem is I have no tone on my phone. I can't ring out and no one can ring in. I tried a different master socket but there was no change.

Could it be a problem at the exchange?

If so, why do I still have internet?

Could I need a new NTE5 master socket?

Any thoughts would be welcome!

pay your bill?

Sponsored Links
internet can work along 1 wire

How?

Surely there must be a need for a return path for data?

DSL (and RedCare) signals are carried on the line at much higher frequencies than the regular voice signals, extending well up in the radio-frequency spectrum. At those frequencies, stray capacitance will provide sufficient coupling to get a usable signal from one side of the line, albeit at reduced strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back