Interstitial condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I understand adding internal wall insulation increases the risk of interstitial condensation within the walls, however I've heard that it's only really an issue if adding a lot of insulation and adding less negates the risk, is this true?

I'm planning on adding 50mm Rockwool to solid stone walled house (wall thickness from 12 to 24 inches in places), is this too low amount of insulation to worry about condensation in the walls? I'm adding a vcl to the warm side, but sealing the vcl isn't going particularly well!

I also have good mechanical extraction (fans in both bathrooms and kitchen and a DriMaster piv in loft).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The warm moist air in the house would pass through plasterboard & insulation and into the wall behind wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
Vapour control layers, like the Tyvek airguard reflective I'm using. Are they not fitted to prevent warm moist air from the building passing through the wall & condensing on and within the wall itself (behind layers of plasterboard/insulation etc)?

They are used externally , typically to prevent moisture entering building/ roof etc but allow any moisture already present to escape .

https://www.permagard.co.uk/advice/installing-vcl-vapour-control-layer

Permagard_VCL_Explained_1_775__775_.png

So, exterior of wall, interior of wall, internal insulation, vcl, plasterboard covering.

The question is (was) with only 50mm of Rockwool internal wall insulation will interstitial condensation even be a problem, or will enough heat still pass through to keep the wall warm enough & above dew point?

https://www.permagard.co.uk/advice/installing-vcl-vapour-control-layer

View attachment 168870

So, exterior of wall, interior of wall, internal insulation, vcl, plasterboard covering.

The question is (was) with only 50mm of Rockwool internal wall insulation will interstitial condensation even be a problem, or will enough heat still pass through to keep the wall warm enough & above dew point?
50mm rockwool would be a waste of time as would VLC in that arrangement .No moist air will get to wall to create condensation .
Simpler just to use foil back insulated plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back