Internal wall insulation - worth it?

Also, interstitial condensation, is there a risk? How can I negate it?

The reason for using wood fibre, rather than e.g. mineral wool, would be to cope better with any condensation rosk. Wood fibre will absorb and release moisture as the humidity around it changes.

If you don’t have a danger of high humidity and condensation within the wall then you might as well use a cheaper material i.e. mineral wool. (Why do you think you have a danger of condensation? Why did you start investigating these materials in the first place?)

I have no experience with metal studwork. Why are you considering that rather than wooden studs?

Sponsored Links
I priced it up, metal studs are cheaper and far easier than timber studs.

Currently the interior of the house is at 80% humidity, N Wales is quite a humid environment I believe. I'll be fitting a Drimaster to reduce humidity & help control condensation soon. But I read about interstitial condensation, where insulation causes the stone wall behind it to become very cold, therefore in danger of forming condensation.

I started looking at breathable insulation so the wall could continue to breath & not trap moisture in it.

Currently the interior of the house is at 80% humidity, N Wales is quite a humid environment I believe.

The inside humidity doesn’t depend much on the outside weather.

80% might be reasonable in a bathroom after you’ve had a shower or in a kitchen if you’re boiling pots of water without lides. Or if the building is unheated. Otherwise it’s very high. (My lounge is currently 36%, at 19C). Do you have kitchen and bathroom extractors? Do you dry washing inside?

House is currently unheated (knackered boiler, on the list to be replaced later). Have fitted bathroom extractors, will fit a humidistat fan in kitchen when I get to that.

Sponsored Links
Back to internal wall insulation and installing... You're supposed to extend the insulation part way into internal walls where those internal walls meet an external wall, to prevent cold bridges. However, would using something like this... Thermal paint, (assuming it works) negate the need to do this, as it prevents that wall surface from becoming cold, therefore not at risk of condensation?

I'm usually a bit suspicious about things like this, wasn't sure if anyone knew anything about it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back