Insulating internal walls

jal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of insulating my internal walls - it's a end terraced house constructed from solid 9inch brick walls. I have condensation problems also, as a result of that, especially in the winter when the heating is on, i get mould on the corner of the internal walls of the exterior wall (i have checked for any water leaks from roof/loft and all seems fine, but have been told by a brick layer that it's mainly due to no insulation in solid brick homes)....

So for this reason i'm thinking of insulating the internal walls to help with the above problems and mainly to maintain the heat.

Has anyone else done this project themselves? I have been looking at thermal insulation boards.

I would like suggestions/advice prior to proceeding with anything.

Would it be advisable to remove the plaster from the affected area's (where there is mould) until the bricks are exposed and then dot and dab the thermal boards onto the bricks?

Sponsored Links
You need to sort the ventilation out and ensure it is adequate before you blame a lack of insulation.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link - but nothing from it applies to me really...

Im pretty certain its due to insulation and so is a a friend of mine who is a builder and hes had a look at all the obvious things you need to, such as ventilation and water leaks etc but all seemed OK..

Besides that this room which im planning to insulate is very cold during winter

He suggested to strip the plaster off from the bedroom wall only those exterior walls and then dot & dab thermal insulation boards and then skim over

Sponsored Links
You need to sort the ventilation out and ensure it is adequate before you blame a lack of insulation.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link - but nothing from it applies to me really...

Im pretty certain its due to insulation and so is a a friend of mine who is a builder and hes had a look at all the obvious things you need to, such as ventilation and water leaks etc but all seemed OK..

Besides that this room which im planning to insulate is very cold during winter

He suggested to strip the plaster off from the bedroom wall only those exterior walls and then dot & dab thermal insulation boards and then skim over
Freddy is correct , no other cause for condensation and mold but lack of adequate ventilation.

Google "thermilate paint",

and "wallrock thermal liner"

My only concern with this is visible joints - yes its a cheaper option than getting insulated plasterboards and skimming the boards

Its a rip-off and a load of baloney.

@ the OP there are thousands of similar threads dedicated to your issues, use the search facility and search for condensation or similar.

@ the OP there are thousands of similar threads dedicated to your issues, use the search facility and search for condensation or similar.

Yes i appreciate that but im looking to insulate aswell.. So looking at what options are available, im more kean on these insulated plasterboards

Are you sure it's a load of balony ?

Using the paint does make a difference to the wall.

Are you sure it's a load of balony ?

Using the paint does make a difference to the wall.
Yes, each product is about 0.5mm thick, of course its a load of baloney. Load of marketing tat up there with painting roof tiles and the like.

Been reading this thread - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1512037#1512037

Im having exactly the same problem and looks like people have suggested to go with insulation plasterboards... I wonder how the op got on at the end considering that thread is 4yrs old!!

Its simple really, you cook, wash, breath, sweat....all this and other things add water vapour to the air in your home.

Water vapour is programmed to condense on the nearest cold surface, that corner of your room.

You can either, fit and use extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom, keep the doors closed, use a de humidifier, open a window, blow warm air into the corner or raise the temperature of the room.

Or fit sheets of polystyrene over the cold walls, Celotex have the ideal product, other people make the same thing and sell it cheaper.

The last option is best, because it is a one off cost and will last for the life of the building. Polystyrene I fitted forty off years ago is still working perfectly, Dow have stuff fitted 51 years ago still in perfect condition.

Its simple really, you cook, wash, breath, sweat....all this and other things add water vapour to the air in your home.

Water vapour is programmed to condense on the nearest cold surface, that corner of your room.

You can either, fit and use extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom, keep the doors closed, use a de humidifier, open a window, blow warm air into the corner or raise the temperature of the room.

Or fit sheets of polystyrene over the cold walls, Celotex have the ideal product, other people make the same thing and sell it cheaper.

The last option is best, because it is a one off cost and will last for the life of the building. Polystyrene I fitted forty off years ago is still working perfectly, Dow have stuff fitted 51 years ago still in perfect condition.

Thanks for your comment.. I have extractor fans in bathroom & kitchen.. Also use a dehumidifier in the affected bedroom, drinks alot of water, been have for the last couple of months!!

I have looked at different options & products, ive decided i will go down the insulated plasterboard route, so looks like i will be removing the existing plaster off the walls in the next week or so and have the insulated boards dot & dabed on the bricks.

Jal, the dot and dab idea is not always the best way.
Brick layers are often mean with their mortar and leave thousands of small holes in the walls. With dot and dab you may have cold air blowing between the insulation and the bricks.
A better way is to wet plaster the wall first to make sure there are no holes.
Then add adhesive all round the perimeter of each sheet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back