Intumescent paste/mastic question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My project is an ensuite bathroom above the garage. I am boxing off a bunch of pipes in the garage (soil pipe, hot and cold water pipes) because Building Control said I need to (fire safety). There are a few places where the plasterboard which is going on top of the timber framing will have to be "notched" to accomodate small water pipes.

Building control suggested I fill in the gaps between the pipes and edge of the board with intumescent paste/mastic. Does this sound like a good idea?

It seems to be that some of the gaps will be large (one pipe sits about 7 cm from the wall, so the "gap" will be (5x2 cm) ) - and this sounds too much for mastic.

Also, does anyone know what exact product to buy?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for the topic.

cheers

Mat

Sponsored Links
Thanks! That's very helpful. The mastic product in particular says that it will fill spaces up to 25mm wide - and I don't anticipate gaps bigger than that (may be a long thin rectangular gap, say 50x25mm - but this should do it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back