Invasion of the dying Bees!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help here please.

We've clearly got a Bee's nest in our loft (yes, I'm too much of a wimp to go up there and check tonight)

Basically we got home after a day out and have so far plucked over 40 dead or dying Bumble (I think) Bee's from various locations around the house. Mainly in the bathroom. Also the kitchen and downstaris toilet. All internal doors are closed when we're out so my conclusion is the Bee's must have come through the soil stack and out of the plugs in the sinks - sounds a bit unlikely but it's all I can think of. Possibly through the extractor fan in the bathroom too as we have closed all the plugs and now just found another Bee.

Looking from outside we have an entry/exit point of Bee's under the roof tile from where the (internal) soil stack exits the roof and vents.

Why would all 40+ Bees suddenly decide to end their lives via a journey through my soil stack today though? Is it even likely this is their route of entry?

Looking online the local council (Wycombe) are useless for Bees as they refer you to the local Bee Keeper society who only deal with Honey Bees. Their standard pest control don't do Bumble Bees either from what I can see.

AA Home insurance won't help as it only covers Wasp and Hornet nests due to the protect species issue with Bees.

Any advice on how to get rid of these Bees, and how to stop them entering the house at least? Or even why they suddenly decided to invade (and die?)

We have a baby in the house and would very much like to avoid him getting stung (don't really fancy it myself either to be honest!)[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
So it's not the sinks/plugs as the kitchen one was sealed shut last night and there are three more bees today.

Two more in the bathroom too.

They're welcome to my loft, but nibbling on my plums in the kitchen is taking liberties!

Impossible to use sink to access house the don't carry snorkels, simply come in thru vents and windows.
Often get them above my shower room the hum from my extract fan seem to attract them then they die in the heat of the lighting.

Yeah I think they must be using the boxing around the soil stack to get in - something seems to be keeping them isolated to the kitchen and bathroom!

Sponsored Links
We had less invaders yesterday so I open the loft (and three dead ones fell on my head) to have a look.

Couldn't actually see the nest/hive so it must be hidden in the wall/roof.

Decided to call off the pest control man and let them live in peace (or keep dying as the case may be) as long as they don't keep trying to get in the house again!

Bumble bees don't always build nests some nest underground or in grass, they are sensitive to electric fields so may be confused around electrical fans etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back