Dying Bees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lot of wild Bees here. Mining Bees in the hedge. Honey Bees. Bumble Bees.

I'm on the south coast nuzzled in the south downs (top of the road are fields, next road across are fields, sea view).

I am getting a lot of dying and confused Bees. I have to clear 3 or 4 dead bumbles a day from the porch, and, remove/catch 2 or 3 dazed honey Bees from the house.

The fact I can catch them in a glass and let them outside shows how dazed they are.

Friends I've spoken about this to, say they are are also seeing a larger than usual number of Bees, especially bumbles.

I wonder if it's pesticides on the fields (although, haven't seen the tractor out) but that's not to say I didn't miss it.

What's the bee situation where you are? Are you seeing more than usual? Are they behaving as expected?

Sponsored Links
North/West Yorks boundary and yes I have seen a few here too. I was particularly paying attention to one yesterday afternoon, which landed next to me - it landed on its back, on the concrete slab, struggled to turn the right way up, seemed very confused staggering round and trying to wipe itself down with its legs. I didn't see whether it recovered or not.

Worker bees have a short lifespan at this time of year, honey bees live 6 weeks if they are lucky so there's going to casualties dropping out of the sky.
If bee get the wrong side of the glass in your home the effort of trying to escape coupled with the heat behind glass soon takes its toll .
We often revive bees that have weakened through heat with a drop of honey slightly thinned with water..its unbelievable the length of a bumbles tongue when it thrusts it out for a reviving drink.

Sponsored Links
Not recently, but my wife helped a bee with honey or sugared water (can’t remember which). Seems to do the trick. Could just be the weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back