IP addresses and remote device access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, do I need a static IP address if I need to access devices connected to my router remotely? does anyone have any experience of Free NoIp service? and is it easy to set up?
your help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've used both NoIP and DynDNS before - they are really easy to setup, particularly if your router has the functionality to use those services (a lot of DSL routers do).

Have a look through your router's configuration pages and see if you can find any dynamic DNS settings - if present it will likely have a list of providers that it supports, which makes choosing one somewhat easier.

It basically boils down to:
a. Setup your account with the dynamic DNS provider
b. Enter the required details into the dynamic DNS config on the router (some combination or username / password / DNS name)
c. Have a cuppa whilst the DNS entry propagates

That's it. After that you will be able to remotely access your router by using the dynamic DNS name.

As for accessing devices attached to the router you will need to do some port forwarding on the router. This basically opens a port on the internet facing side of the router and passes any traffic that comes in on that port directly to whichever device you specify. This is usually defined by the IP address of the device on your network, which if you are using DHCP from the router to hand out IP addresses may change from time to time - so would be wise to see if you can define the IP allocated to a particular device a permanent DHCP entry (most routers provide this but call it all manner of different things).

Thank you for your help, I am with BT Infinity and the hub was supplied by them, it came with a CD which I will be going through tonight! see if I can find the settings section.
One more question, does the address of devices connected to the router stay the same and only the router's IP address change each time you connect to the internet?

Only the router's IP address will change when you reconnect to the internet.

Typically the IPs assigned to the devices attached to the router will only change if you turn them off for a time and power them up in a different order to previously. Hence the need to use DHCP reservations (or however the BT hub names it) when you want to do port forwarding.

You shouldn't need to use the CD to access the Hub configuration, just use your web brower and go to http://bthomehub.home or http://192.168.1.254

Apparently to set the DHCP reservations, goto "Advanced" then "Devices" (under Configuration), click the "Edit" button against the entry for your device, check the box which says "Always use the same address:" Then click the Apply button.

And port forwarding is apparently under Advanced Settings > Application Sharing option.

Sponsored Links
Oh - one last thing. With a lot of DSL routers (not sure about the hub specifically), once you've setup the dynamic DNS and port forwarding you can't actually test it from a device attached to the router / hub itself. The router point blank refuses to route traffic from one device on the internal interface, to the external interface and back in to the internal interface via the port forward.

So you have to test it from an external connection (e.g. mobile device using cellular access / mate's house etc.)

Back