ip address

Worth bearing in mind that most ISP's provide a dynamic IP unless you specifically pay for a static one. So, if you restart your router there is every chance you will be assigned a new IP depending on lease times.

Sponsored Links
This site will tell you your IP address and a map gives the rough(?) area of where you are. You don't even nee to enter your own IP.

http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/

You can then find out the location of any other IP Address by enetering it in the search box.
dave

This site will tell you your IP address and a map gives the rough(?) area of where you are. You don't even nee to enter your own IP.

You can then find out the location of any other IP Address by enetering it in the search box.
dave
That one is no different to the one I gave a link to.It still says I'm near Bridgewater,which is 60 odd miles away.The only way any one can find where you live is by a post code,not by Ip address.

Sponsored Links

dave
That one is no different to the one I gave a link to.It still says I'm near Bridgewater,which is 60 odd miles away.The only way any one can find where you live is by a post code,not by Ip address.

You think that's bad, some of mine come up as being in Nevada.

Enyam
Your links puts me in the City of London which is quite a distance from Blackpool. At least the link I gave puts me west of Skipton which is about 30 miles away, but ignoring the discrepancies of where, the search facility for an IP address location regarding country is handy at times.

Your ISP gives you an IP address on the internet. If you're on dial-up you'll get a different one every time you connect. If you're on broadband you're always connected but they can still change it any time they like. :eek: :eek: :eek: This is a good thing because a fixed IP address is easier to hack. Your modem-router will take care of the changes so you don't have to worry about it. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Your ISP knows who you are so they can identify you from the IP address they gave you but they won't give this information out without good reason - unless they're the DVLA! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Enyam
Your links puts me in the City of London which is quite a distance from Blackpool. At least the link I gave puts me west of Skipton which is about 30 miles away, but ignoring the discrepancies of where, the search facility for an IP address location regarding country is handy at times.

Appreciate what you are saying,but the op was concerned that personnel info was to be gleaned from an Ip which is not possible.Both our links show me as in Bridgewater,but on the side of the google search page it shows my location as Yeovil, presumably from my ip which is also miles away.

mmmm......the address checkers are a bit suspect I am now in Walsall :eek:
Little bit of time travel going on there SC :cool:
would much rather be in Nevada monkeh ..... I mean WALSALL :rolleyes:

Yes, enyam.....that was why I asked.

About 5 years ago I was on a building site and when I did an ip address search all the details of the company and the actual site postal address was revealed. But, I assume that was specially setup in that way by the company, is that correct?

About 5 years ago I was on a building site and when I did an ip address search all the details of the company and the actual site postal address was revealed. But, I assume that was specially setup in that way by the company, is that correct?

Rather more likely you were looking at the WHOIS data for the domain. That's quite normal, as registries require it.

Sponsored Links
Back