IP address help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if its possible for a hacker to send people emails that have my IP address attatched, so it appears the emails came from my PC thorugh either otlook express or windows messenger . :shock

Sponsored Links
yes - very easy for the b'stewards to do especially if you don't have the up to date virus / malware protection
but the more frequent problem is a virus in your computer doing the work unknown to you.

Had the same problem last year, getting e-mails from myself, blocking my e-mail address in filters cured it.

the problem is that some twot has emailed a nasty mail to someone in my address book, and it looks like i sent it..............and the person who recieved it is convinced its impossible. :( , How do they do it ?

Sponsored Links
IP address or e-mail address?

To forge the 'From' address on an e-mail is as easy as typing in what you want it to be.

The IP address is a bit harder, but can be done by forging the headers. Spammers don't usually bother with that now though - they just get a compromised PC to send send it for them so no forging is necessary.

Whichever of the above forgeries it is, no amount of patching, anti-virus, firewall or cowering in concrete bunkers on your part can stop it. It doesn't have to go anywhere near your PC.

Of course it's also possible that your PC has been infected with something and did send the e-mail. A visit to

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

won't hurt and should give you peace of mind.

the problem is that some twot has emailed a nasty mail to someone in my address book, and it looks like i sent it..............and the person who recieved it is convinced its impossible. :( , How do they do it ?

tell them to come on here, it really is possibe.

I have had a delivery failure email for an email i never sent.

I have also had an email on another email account claiming to be from the first email account, but i clicked on it, for reply and up came the email address of who did send it. a made up one of course, but it showed it wasnt me.

It is most probably because someone else has got a virus on their computer and you are in their address book. The virus, when triggered, sends out millions of spam emails using each of the addresses in the contaminated computer’s address book as the ‘From‘ address.

The other way they work is by using the addresses on emails in the In Box of a contaminated computer. And what makes things easy for them is the number of people who forward jokes etc to their friends and use the Cc facility instead of the Bcc address line. Thus someone receives a joke and on the email are hundreds of email addresses of other people it has been sent to. You may not know any of them but if your address is amongst the list that has been carelessly left on, your address could be used as one of the ‘From’ addresses. So thousands of people get spam email from someone they don’t even know.

If you are forwarding email jokes, click the forward button, and in the message window delete all the addresses that are visible. Then if you are sending it to several friends in your address book, put one name in the ‘To’ Address Bar and put all the rest in the ‘Bcc’ address bar, so that no one sees who else it has been sent to, not even a virus.

Just found this today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7932816.stm
Quite alarming really.

Back