Hiding your identity on the web

It's simply that it's correct for some addresses, but not for some others.

In those cases where it's not correct, there is no single method for finding more information, but even if there were, it's not something that I'd just publish openly, since it involves hard-won knowledge that provides some useful revenue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks softus
Fair enough, I can understand your reluctance to publish more info particularly due to the thoughts of losing potential revenue :D

Obviously there are more ways to hide your presence than I had considered and some ways to find more information by those with the required knowledge and skills.

The comments made here confirm my belief that the average user unlikely to have the knowledge or even the need to completely cover their tracks.

Ebuyer (UK) Ltd
off Ferry Road
Howden, East Yorkshire DN14 7UW
UK

Domain Name: EBUYER.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Ebuyer.com, Sysadmin Team [email protected]
Ebuyer (UK) Ltd.
off Ferry Road
Howden, East Yorkshire DN14 7UW
UK
+44 (0) 870 467 5075 fax: 08713093099

Record expires on 09-Apr-2018.
Record created on 08-Apr-1997.
Database last updated on 7-Nov-2008 04:29:45 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS4.EBUYER.COM 213.232.80.119
NS5.EBUYER.COM 89.107.41.3

The thing is with most people who are on the web there IP will just go to there ISP so doesn't really give much away about them, a surfer and a website are very different.

The thing is with most people who are on the web there IP will just go to there ISP so doesn't really give much away about them, a surfer and a website are very different.
What does this load of borlocks actually mean?

Do you meant "there", or "their"?

Does "on the web" mean something other than "surfer" and "website"?

Do you mean that a "surfer" and a "web site" are very much not the same thing?

When you say "doesn't really give much away", do you mean "gives nothing away", or "gives something away"?

Sponsored Links
Do you meant "there", or "their"?

Do you mean "mean" or "meant"?

In the context of "most people who are on the web" it's fairly plain to see it means surfer or someone connected to the internet, how can a person be a website?

Of course I do, see above. Do you think a chunk of space on a server is the same as a surfer on the web? What is your cryptic point if there is one?

When you say "doesn't really give much away", do you mean "gives nothing away", or "gives something away"?

I mean doesn't really give much away funnily enough, as in "gives little away" as in "gives a small amount away" got the drift yet? How can "doesn't really give much away" ever mean give nothing away, surely I would have put "gives nothing away"? All IP addresses give something away.[/b]

Do you mean "mean" or "meant"?
Touché. :)

In the context of "most people who are on the web" it's fairly plain to see it means surfer or someone connected to the internet, how can a person be a website?

Of course I do, see above. Do you think a chunk of space on a server is the same as a surfer on the web? What is your cryptic point if there is one?
I'm trying to understand what you've said that's additional to what's already been said. So far I haven't spotted it.

I mean doesn't really give much away funnily enough, as in "gives little away" as in "gives a small amount away" got the drift yet?
Indeed I have, but what do you find significant about the quantity of information? It's not like you're trying to squeeze your car into a parking space, next to someone who's been a bit greedy.

How can "doesn't really give much away" ever mean give nothing away, surely I would have put "gives nothing away"?
I don't know what you would have written - many people give some quite bizarrely different meanings to apparently well-defined words and phrases.

All IP addresses give something away.[/b]
In the context of this topic, that is simply untrue.

For example, what does the class C IP address of 192.168.1.2 give away?

Or 127.0.0.1?

Or 255.255.255.255?

I'm trying to understand what you've said that's additional to what's already been said. So far I haven't spotted it.

I was simply pointing out that a person surfing the web is different to a website, this has not been mentioned in the thread as far as I can see, admittedly I only scanned the first 2/3 pages as I didn't realise some pedant may over scrutinise a rapidly typed post. In my 2nd post I was reiterating the 1st post.

Indeed I have, but what do you find significant about the quantity of information? It's not like you're trying to squeeze your car into a parking space, next to someone who's been a bit greedy.
You asked if I meant something or nothing, I genuinely have no idea what you are getting at, anything greater than zero is something in my book. Therefore if I can get the country where someone is from an IP have have some info, if I have the surfers home address phone number and inside leg measurement then I have a lot of info. It's not hard to grasp.

In the context of this topic, that is simply untrue.

For example, what does the class C IP address of 192.168.1.2 give away?

Or 127.0.0.1?

Or 255.255.255.255?

192.168.*.* is a private IP, so it has given away that it is not a public IP and therefore on a private network not connected to the internet. Loads of info there.

127.0.0.1 localhost pretty self explanatory there that gives away everything...it is you!

255.255.255.* subnet masks not valid IP addresses.

I see from the thread I'm not the first person to struggle with your posts and over questioning, I am starting to see how you've managed to clock up a massive 1800+ posts.

Getting bored with your borlocks now, any more questions you have maybe you should go and talk to IT where you work. Have fun........

I was simply pointing out that a person surfing the web is different to a website, this has not been mentioned in the thread as far as I can see
In that case you've roundly missed the point.

You asked if I meant something or nothing, I genuinely have no idea what you are getting at, anything greater than zero is something in my book. Therefore if I can get the country where someone is from an IP have have some info, if I have the surfers home address phone number and inside leg measurement then I have a lot of info. It's not hard to grasp.
Not hard, but you seem to be struggling.

192.168.*.* is a private IP, so it has given away that it is not a public IP and therefore on a private network not connected to the internet. Loads of info there.
192.168.*.* is indeed a private IPv4 address, but is a valid address that reveals nothing. If you regard no information as "lots", then I can see why you're struggling.

127.0.0.1 localhost pretty self explanatory there that gives away everything...it is you!
You seem to be eager to headbutt various conclusions before taking a close look at them. 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address; localhost is simply the name conventionally, but not necessarily, attributed to it. The address tells you nothing about anybody.

255.255.255.* subnet masks not valid IP addresses.
FYI, 255.255.255.255 is a valid IP address, so whilst you had a good try, using what little knowledge you seem to have, you weren't even close with that answer.

I was simply pointing out that a person surfing the web is different to a website, this has not been mentioned in the thread as far as I can see
In that case you've roundly missed the point
Yet again another blank answer with no content, what is the point then?

The info is obviously simple to find. What I dont understand is why Softus asked teh question.

Your original question Tony was how to protect your IP address , not a websites IP address. I am struggling to understand what Softus was trying to demonstrate with his post.

Do you see any patten emerging here? You really do see to have serious communication problems.

As above you post comments with no argument given, a very easy way to try to look in control.

192.168.*.* is indeed a private IPv4 address, but is a valid address that reveals nothing. If you regard no information as "lots", then I can see why you're struggling.

You seem to be eager to headbutt various conclusions before taking a close look at them. 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address; localhost is simply the name conventionally, but not necessarily, attributed to it. The address tells you nothing about anybody.

The OP was asking about being tracked on the web, the only way you'll get to see the above IP's is if you are on the private network or the PC that's acting as local host so how does this relate to the OP post? You can try to twist things around but you fail in a very big way. Why bring private IP's in to a web IP thread? Anyway they give everything away because you need to be on the network that they originate from to see the source IP...even you, yes you, must be able to grasp that very basic fact....well maybe not.
:LOL:

Firstly, your previous post gave the impression that you had no interest in continuing the 'debate'. Secondly, all the information you need is within this topic - I left you the option of finding it as an exercise for the student.

The info is obviously simple to find. What I dont understand is why Softus asked teh question.

Your original question Tony was how to protect your IP address , not a websites IP address. I am struggling to understand what Softus was trying to demonstrate with his post.
Don't be so pathetic - BoxCleva later wrote that he understood; that understanding came to him without any additional information from me.

Do you see any patten emerging here? You really do see to have serious communication problems.
I see to? Do you mean that I seem to? And is it really me? :D

As above you post comments with no argument given, a very easy way to try to look in control.
Ah, so you think it's a control thing! OK. In that case, Mister Dobbo, you have the conn! ;)

The OP was asking about being tracked on the web, the only way you'll get to see the above IP's is if you are on the private network or the PC that's acting as local host so how does this relate to the OP post?
I don't believe that I ever claimed that pointing out the error in your post was connected to the OP.

You can try to twist things around but you fail in a very big way. Why bring private IP's in to a web IP thread?
You brought them in, when you mentioned IP addresses. I pointed out that your statement was incorrect. That's all. You seem unable to accept that you've made an error, and accusing me of twisting isn't a successful way of evading that point.

Anyway they give everything away because you need to be on the network that they originate from to see the source IP.
OK. I have four hosts here, with addresses 192.168.2.2, .3, .4, and .5. Please state the name of each host, or any other information you think you can deduce.

If you can't deduce anything, then please explain how the following statement can be correct:

Firstly, your previous post gave the impression that you had no interest in continuing the 'debate'. Secondly, all the information you need is within this topic - I left you the option of finding it as an exercise for the student.

Surprise surprise, yet another post from softus avoiding any content or answering a direct question, what a typical childish response.

You can try to twist things around but you fail in a very big way. Why bring private IP's in to a web IP thread?
You brought them in, when you mentioned IP addresses. I pointed out that your statement was incorrect. That's all. You seem unable to accept that you've made an error, and accusing me of twisting isn't a successful way of evading that point.

No, there is no error; you really are flogging a dead horse with this one. Private IP’s give away exactly what they are, private, not accessible to the web, it tells me they are on your network that’s fairly specific information in my book. Where did I ever say I could deduce the name of each host, or any other information? Try reading and using some basic thought processes before posting such random questions trying and back up your lost cause.

192.*.*.* was probably the worst example you could pick as they are so strictly defined!! What a lost argument from the start.

Information about an IP address can only be traced as far as the ISP that owns it.
A company Emailed me today, using this IP address: 89.107.40.12
Ebuyer.
How on Earth did you do that! :eek:

I think this sums up your level of knowledge the fact you couldn’t work out how he got from the IP you gave to Ebuyer. After that post you had zero credibility with me. The fact I posted even more info obviously annoys you greatly. I'm beginning to like this thread, seeing you digging yourself in an ever increasing hole is pretty good entertainment.

Surprise surprise, yet another post from softus avoiding any content or answering a direct question, what a typical childish response.
Quite the contrary. The information you seek is all within the topic, and I don't exist merely to spoon-feed you the answers to your questions.

No, there is no error; you really are flogging a dead horse with this one.
OK. I'll stop flogging it, after one more lash:-

You said that "All IP addresses give something away.[/b]" (sic.).

You're wrong.

Private IP’s give away exactly what they are, private, not accessible to the web, it tells me they are on your network that’s fairly specific information in my book.
If the address told you that it's my network, then that would be information. Even if it did, you would have no way of locating my network either geographically or topologically, so the information is not actually information.

Moreover, it isn't only my network. The number of networks using the 192.192.168.1.x subnet must run into millions. So the address tells you merely that it's in the IPv4 address space, on someone's private network, somewhere on the planet. Probably.

192.*.*.* was probably the worst example you could pick as they are so strictly defined!! What a lost argument from the start.
For that reason it's the perfect example - it has a strict definition, and yet you can deduce nothing that isn't already in that strict definition.

Information about an IP address can only be traced as far as the ISP that owns it.
A company Emailed me today, using this IP address: 89.107.40.12
Ebuyer.
How on Earth did you do that! :eek:
I think this sums up your level of knowledge the fact you couldn’t work out how he got from the IP you gave to Ebuyer.
It was mock surprise. :rolleyes:

This wasn't lost on BoxCleva, because he's not a fool.

After that post you had zero credibility with me. The fact I posted even more info obviously annoys you greatly. I'm beginning to like this thread, seeing you digging yourself in an ever increasing hole is pretty good entertainment.
Far being annoying, this is excellent news, as it demonstrates that you truly have missed the point. I can hardly wait until the penny drops. :D

Edit: fixed one typo.

You have made this post a very easy one by not having a leg to stand on, having nothing of any interest to add and by merely repeating the same failed arguments time and time again. I may as well do the same back as that is you level of intelligence (or lack of intelligence ).

Quite the contrary. The information you seek is all within the topic, and I don't exist merely to spoon-feed you the answers to your questions.

No, there is no error; you really are flogging a dead horse with this one.
OK. I'll stop flogging it, after one more lash:-

You said that "All IP addresses give something away.[/b]" (sic.).

You're wrong.

Surprise surprise, yet another post from softus avoiding any content. So the address tells you that it's in the IPv4 address space, on someone's private network, somewhere on the planet. Not directly accessible from the internet. So therefore that is information about the address. The fact that someone has a private network somewhere on the planet that is by definition not accessible from the internet is enough information. I stated all IP's give something away and that is proved, the fact the answer does not please you is of irrelevance to me. “Private” and “not on the internet” is information is it not, all though I think you would argue black is white.

After that post you had zero credibility with me. The fact I posted even more info obviously annoys you greatly. I'm beginning to like this thread, seeing you digging yourself in an ever increasing hole is pretty good entertainment.
Far being annoying, this is excellent news, as it demonstrates that you truly have missed the point. I can hardly wait until the penny drops. :D

This makes no sense. What does "Far being annoying" mean? And just by endlessly repeating "you truly have missed the point" holds no water...

It's due to softus being over pedantic and starting an argument/debate ;) based on semantics. All forums seem to have trolls and pedants like him, its a bit of fun pulling them along for a while until you get bored, they then move on to the next poster. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back