IR test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Would like some advice please. Did an ir test on a ring circuit and results are as followed - P/E = 95 mega ohms, N/E = 95 mega ohms but P/N = 0.00 ohms. The problem is there are 3 sockets behind some massive cupboards in the bedroom and lounge. Now when I come to doing the certificate I can't put 0 ohms on so is there any other way I can test the ir between P/N without trying to move all these units? All other test were ok. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This is indictive of loads being left in place. Items plugged in, FCU's, dodgy spuring to something you may assume is on a different circuit......

No way around it - find that item!

You must be IRing some appliences to get that reading, If you wanna do a correct test move the cupbords. If not place a limitation on your PIR.

If it was me i would move and investigate to ensure no faults
:confused:

Posted the wrong item on your other Msg Lol

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping there was a way around the cupboards so to speak. I can see the sockets down the sides and 2 have an extension plugged in and one has a radio plugged in. Oh well sh"£ happens. Apologies for double posting. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Radio is probably frazzled now :LOL:

And if you had looked at the extensions when you where testing, you would have seen the neons glow - assuming they have them!

how much current can an IR tester drive into an appliance? (i know they are 500V off load but i can't imagine they maintain that once a load is connected)

There is a spec for the BS somewhere - but they will deffinantly cause a neon to glow!

plugwash said:
how much current can an IR tester drive into an appliance? (i know they are 500V off load but i can't imagine they maintain that once a load is connected)

1mA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back