irrational fears....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it totally irrational to dread taking my van for an MOT?

I can't really afford it as I'm unemployed for the last 12 months but it has to be done..
so if it turns out that I need £200 of welding or stuff doing to it again then I'm screwed.. I'll have to tap up my mom and dad for the cash and that just creates tension between us as who knows when I can pay them back..

Sponsored Links
I think most people have the same irrational fear.

Luckily I've found an honest company that does mine, ask around, honest mechanics do exist.

I sympathise with the being unemployed bit, it has been extremely hard for a lot of people in the last 12 months or so. However is there absolutely nothing around? For instance, I had to swallow any pride I had and deliver leaflets for a week, completely boring and terribly paid, but it gets you out the house and helps pass time.

I wish you luck, must be tough.

Yep I agree with holmslaw, I think we all 'worry' about what the car/van will need doing when it is put through a MOT. That worry is compounded when funds are tight. I'm not working at the minute Col. I had to close my business last year due to ill health and unfortunately my health has got worse since. I've worried about money and what I'm going to do for over a year now but it's difficult as I'm in and out of hospital. We don't claim any benefits as my wife works but its bloody hard.

Don't know what to say to you mate other than, you're not unusual in your worry.

Sponsored Links
If I was you ColJack, if the van is not a necessity. I would get it parked up off the road, until you can afford to and you have some work for the vehicle.
Because the next bill is the insurance then the tax sneaks up on you.
Bloody expensive things, does anyone have a peddle bike that carry's tools?

does anyone have a peddle bike that carry's tools?
You could convert this...
091126_delhi_india_cycle_rickshaw_box_school_bus_transportation_MG_7706.jpg

with that steering geometry it will handle like a pig.
handbag behind seat denotes lady driver.

get well soon BP. liver and bacon is grand for the constitution!!

I can't really afford it as I'm unemployed for the last 12 months but it has to be done..
so if it turns out that I need £200 of welding or stuff doing to it again then I'm screwed.. I'll have to tap up my mom and dad for the cash and that just creates tension between us as who knows when I can pay them back..

Take that grand a month you spoke of - at least it is a contribution to your living costs - I bet something else would turn up before you know it.

Mind you we have had it good for 10-15 yrs - But the old recessionary 'double dip' is likely a work in progress... How it was (below) may be how it shall be... -

stock_market_crash_1930_10d.gif

-0-

WHAT?
What 'Grand a month'? He never mentioned a 'Grand a month'. What you on about empip?

Take that grand a month you spoke of - at least it is a contribution to your living costs - I bet something else would turn up before you know it.

Mind you we have had it good for 10-15 yrs - But the old recessionary 'double dip' is likely a work in progress... How it was (below) may be how it shall be... -

-0-

-0-

You little ray of sunshine you!

seems my fears were not irrational...

needs 2 new cills, welding to the chasis at the back ( near the leaf spring hangers ), all new brake pipes at the rear, new compensator at the rear, new breake pipe front nearside, new CV gator front nearside...
£500 worth of stuff..

told mom and dad and they suggest it's not worth throwing £500 at a van that will probably need that again next year.. just chasing the rot now...

so he's giving me £1000 for another car so now I've got a weekend of looking at clunkers ahead of me....

( nan passed away last june and they sold her house, so it's early inheritance.. as dad puts it "what you have now you won't have when we die... you can only spend it once.." )

Sponsored Links
Back