Irregular door height vs no door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, basically i have a stairway going to my attic room, a step breaches where the door would go, meaning that the door would have to either be aligned taller than the rest, cut down or not present at all.

It is all stud work atm, so now is the time to change my mind if i am going to.

Here is an awesomely crap picture to explain:

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=13672
user_album_update.php

All doors and casings are getting replaced as a matter of course since i like bare wood anyhow.

options i figured:

1) If i just align the attic door to the other doors, cutting down the attic door i have 1815mm high to get through, just and so enough, i have to slant my head a little with shoes on.

2) I could make the other doors taller, the tallest i can find online is 2032mm, so changing all those and cutting down a door to suit for the attic would give me 1837mm from the top of the step. If i could find taller doors (or make the doors taller) then this is a good option, but with 2032mm doors i am only actually gaining 22mm over using standard doors, so seems like a waste, although should save the head slant with my shoes on.

3) carry on leaving an open archway, get a heavy sound proofing curtain if needed.

4) pay a stupid amount for a round top door, or try and make one with a matching case (would be pretty tricky to get a bare wood finish if i diy it)

5) use standard doors and try not to look at the odd heights in such close proximity

This may end up being the house i stay in for the next 10 years, it is also just as likely that i end up renting it out at some point instead, so i am happy to put any amount of work in, i just need an extra thinker to give me some options or input.
The only (realistic) thing i am not willing to do to solve this is move the stairs. :D

thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
i should point out my preferred options would be:

1st = round top door (if i could do this at a reasonable cost it would look great)
2nd = raise other door heights (if i can get doors nearer 7')
2nd = arch (if i can assure myself that a curtain will actually be sufficient and not look crap, this could look either great or really pants)
3rd = tilting my head slightly and using standard doors (i figure most people wont need to head tilt, since i am fairly tall)
3rd = uneven door heights (this could really get on my wick, dunno)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back