Resizing 4/6 panel doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two doors that fit under the staircase for are non standard sizes.
They are still rectangular, no funny angles.

For one I have managed to cut 2 panels off a 4 panel pine door at the stile, making a 2 panel door at 110cm high. The other is more tricky as the height does not fit in with a stile.
The height is 130cm, I thought about adding a 5cm strip of wood to the top and bottom if I cut another door in half but this may be noticeable.
The other option I thought is to cut the top stile off a 6 panel door, cut off the top two panel and rezise the other two panels? I have a router so could amend the panels but not sure how easy they will come apart?

Can you get taller doors fro period properties that may give me the 130cm? or any other brands that may differ with stile heights? (checked wickes/b&q and homebase)

Thanks
Pody

Sponsored Links
I have attached a diagram on what I was going to do to a 6 panel door.

Cut along the red line, use router on the two panels - green line and the center piece - may struggle with this as I dont have matching bit for the molding. Remove yellow piece and refit - use dowels from either side to attach

Thanks
pody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back