Irrigation system fed from a river

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
What with the spiralling cost of water and everything else, I’m looking to feed our garden irrigation system from the river and wondered if anyone else had undertaken a similar project and what advice on pumps/filtering/etc they could give?
(Yes I checked and in my area it’s ok to abstract under something like 20m3 a day)

Problem nbr 1 is how to filter it without drawing in silt and small things (living & dead!) that could block the sprinklers.

Problem nbr 2 is how (what kind of pump) to give it enough pressure for sprinklers, soaker hoses, etc. It’s a fairly large garden so I could use multiple pumps if necessary.

My initial thoughts were to use a large boat bilge pump to fill a big waterbutt, then let the sediment settle (where it can be drawn off from time to time through the waterbutt tap). I’m guessing maybe a shower pump might then give enough pressure for pumping the cleaner water from the top of the tank to the irrigation?

I’m sure if doing this job badly I’ll be forever cleaning filters or changing burnt out pumps, so would really welcome any advice!

Any ideas or good tips from anyone that’s done this please??
Cheers! Dave

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We have installed a number of irrigation systems some borehole feed some from small rivers or large drainage ditches (in this area they are size of small canals!)
We have used submersible pumps normally Flygt there range includes pumps intended for de watering applications and even pumping slurry.
Email flygt or one of there distributors (we use anglian pumps) for advice.

Thanks Exedon, I got in touch with Anglian and they've recommended a suitable on-land self priming pump rather than a submersible, so all looks good there.
Unfortunately they couldn't assist with the filtration side though so I'm open for suggestions from anyone that might have any ideas on that. It's just that the irrigation has multiple miniature drippers/sprays/etc and they'll clog up in no time meaning it's likely to be a Royal pain having to keep changing them all the time!

Have a look at dolphin floating suction strainers (other makes available! ).
Then probably a disk element filter to totally clean.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Exedon, I got in touch with Anglian and they've recommended a suitable on-land self priming pump rather than a submersible, so all looks good there.
Unfortunately they couldn't assist with the filtration side though so I'm open for suggestions from anyone that might have any ideas on that. It's just that the irrigation has multiple miniature drippers/sprays/etc and they'll clog up in no time meaning it's likely to be a Royal pain having to keep changing them all the time!
May I ask what Anglian recommended.

Boat sump pumps can run on 12volts ( or solar panel) and are Surprisingly powerful for the size even the tiny ones which only cost a few pounds.They don’t block easily and could be suspended just below water source to avoid most sediment .

Get a sand filter. They will take out all small debris and can be back flushed as necessary. I havent used one for this particular application but it should be fine.
Other makes are available.

You can get water powered pumps (ram pump).
I've also seen it where they just go further back up the river to get the head, and just lay a pipe in under some rocks.

I think first off I would catch every last drop of rainwater that hits your roofs, store it, and use gravity to move it about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back