Irritating Knocking Sounds!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of advice on what could be causing a problem with my central heating system and what course of action I should take. When my oil fired central heating system is turned on it creates a constant knocking sound which appears to be coming from between the two floors in the house and emanates from the area where the flue goes between the floors (may be a coincidence) the knocking appears to be worst when he boiler is on the ignition cycle and then tails off when it is not. It is like the sound of knocking pipes and is starting to really irritate!! Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I take it the flue is metal, and expands when it gets hot?
Could it be rubbing against, or being restrained by, the fabric of the house?

Take a look at BS5440 and Building Regs Doc J for recommended clearances to combustible materials (especially where the flue goes through floors)

Have you investigated central heating pipes expansion noise?

No I haven't investigated central heating pipes expansion noise and too be honest on reflection I think that is a more likely scenario than the flue. The flue has a large stainless steel protection cover around it which does not get warm and thus is unlike to expand when the system is running and to the best of my knowledge this runs right to the roof and the external flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back