irwin visegrip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was just on another forum and they are convinced that irwin visegrip are now going to be manufactured in china/ korea. i was wandering if this is true as i was under the impression that 10% of irwin tools were manufactured in the USA and the remaining 90% were made in sheffield at the old marples/ record factory. i hope this isnt true as i realy do try to buy british, the steel made in the uk is far superior than anywhere else so the tools last ages.

Sponsored Links
i think you'll find that very little of the irwin/record/marples range is made in the uk and hasnt been for some time

In 2008 Newall Rubbermaid announced the closure of the Vise-Grip factory in Nebraska and moved production to China to keep the name alive!!!!
Did someone say asset stripping? They did the same thing to Strait-Line, Quick-Grip and Record Marples.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturing in China doesn't automatically mean poor quality; it depends on the quality control instigated by the company in question. Buying unbranded stuff on Ebay from China in my experience means little or no quality or control. A company has the opportunity to maintain quality if it thinks it's worth it.

I believe its in china now but manufactured to the same standard. I know an irwin rep and they have said that the quality is the same its just the labour cost that has been reduced.

The new titanic II is going to be built in China so we'll soon find out what Chinese steel is like, i guess if this one sinks its because it says 'made in China' underneath it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back