Is 21mm enough depth to hold a shower riser?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a shower like this
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/milan-square-thermostatic-bar-shower-valve-riser-kit-chrome

but my hot and cold pipes run in the middle of the wall between the outlets, i.e. right where the top part needs to be fitted.

I have 12mm Hardiebacker and 10mm tile

Is that enough to hold the top bracket? I assume most weight is supported by the copper pipes on the shower mixer...

But can you even get 20mm wall plugs?

If not possible, I'd have to settle for a riser bar on the side. Been looking for nice ones I like, struggling

IMG_20200708_145236299.jpg

IMG_20200708_145247617.jpg

IMG_20200128_212151154.jpg

Sponsored Links
Should have been considered when designing layout.Pipes should have been run down corner and across leaving upper area clear .

You can fit it slightly to the left as the shower head is always offset to the right of the riser. The rain head can be tilted slightly so the water comes down centrally, although you should get a drill between the first two pipe if you've got the nerve!

I would re-route those pipes before I went any further, at some time in the future somebody is going to drill right through them.

Sponsored Links
Moving the pipes isn't an option really.

Can 20mm plug hold the bracket ok?

Can 20mm plug hold the bracket ok?
Probably but it won't be a good strong fixing. And, whether or not the 20mm plug will hold it, I wouldn't have those pipes there, it's an accident waiting to happen.

The more i think about it, the more i think they need to move....

If i have the shower on the other wall, how much depth is needed for the pipes? Maybe i could make 2 channels in the Hardiebaxker board, plus take out some plaster behind, that mighty be enough.

Will need to leave those pipes in place as they feed toilet and basin.

This is mine:
IMG_20200709_101458977.jpg

As you can see I made what I consider to be a beginners mistake by mounting the riser rail centrally - which means the shower head is off centre, the rain head can be adjusted if required. I can't see why you need to move pipes.

Yeah, but I was intending on having a fixed rain head centre - had one in previous house and never used the hand held shower head.

Really want something like this
MIL002_prod.jpg

Unless I put in new pipes on the other wall, I will have to have something like this

80665_P.jpg

Which although would probably be OK, it won't all be perfectly symmetrical!

I guess we could just slice through the Hardiebacker with a circular saw to bury the pipes behind?

I would think the tile layout / levels was more of a beginners mistake unless it was part or a cunning plan:)

The handset would be more central to the room if it was tother side of the riser
but to my eye the riser doesn't look central to the side walls according to the tile layout so cant see the logic in why you've done it like that unless to use up some cut tiles from another wall. .

Think I found something!

Rising / fixing is 67cm from centre
Inlets are 50mm apart

https://victoriaplum.com/product/mira-agile-erd-thermostatic-mixer-shower

17c0fc2d-c7bd-41af-95d6-597cb57800b5.jpg

e8f5c34a-80be-4595-827c-21a2b97991fb.jpg

IMG_20200128_212128447.jpg

IMG_20200709_145516791.jpg

I think it will fit .... fixing might be a bit close to pipes .... but should work...

Of course, if anybody ever replaced it and put one in the middle, they'd probably go through a pipe...

Will just need to remove some board and send those pipes out straight.

Although, it might be cheaper to get new pipes run!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back