Is a separate VCL necessary below screed when using foil faced PIR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title really, not sure if taping the joints between boards is sufficient or whether a separate VCL is required?

Seems a bit pointless when the clips for the UFH pipes will penetrate through it into the PIR anyway...

Sponsored Links
It's not a VCL and taping the joints is not required as the joints should be tight anyway, but is good practice.

Thanks, but does that mean:

A VCL is not required and the foil facing is ok

or:

A VCL is required and the foil isn't good enough?

A VCL (or foil face used as a VCL) is used in a timber structure (wall, floor ceiling, roof) to stop water vapour getting through to the timber. So its not a requirement in a concrete floor.

If you were pouring wet concrete, then a polythene layer (or taped joint) may be useful to stop water dripping through joints and lifting the insulation. But as you will be using dry screed, such precautions are not required for this.

Sponsored Links
Recently a builder told me that a building inspector had said they have found cementitious screed eats PIR and so a polythene separating layer is needed.

Ive also heard that some building inspectors like to see a plastic sheet between insulation and screed to act as a 'slip layer' with underfloor heating.

I cant say Ive heard any official confirmation so feel free to ignore!

Dont forget to use perimeter expansion foam between screed and walls......

builder told me that a building inspector had said they have found cementitious screed eats PIR
The only eating going on there would be of magic mushrooms.

The "slip layer" you mentioned is for the reason I mentioned above regarding water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back