Is a Workmate ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've been doing a beginners woodwork course for about 6 weeks now and want to start working at home. I don't have room in my flat so I'll be working in a communal underground carpark. I was thinking of getting a folding bench/workmate type thing that I can pack away when I am finished working, as I can not leave anything lying around in the communal area. Is a workmate any good, considering I'm a beginner and don't want to spend a fortune?

I've looked at the Black and Decker (60 quid) and Draper (120 quid), and the latter looks best but my instructor reckons Draper are no good.

Any help much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo neeway2000 and welcome :D:D:D

my personal advice would be because of you circumstance would be

1 workmate and 2 tressles [either made or bought] that can be set at the same level as the workmate preferably at both hieghts
a sheet of 12mm ply 78x 35" [or whatever width your tresles will take]edged underneath with 2by1" par to give a lip to locate on the tresels

also a bit off 2by2"par underneath centraly placed to allow the workmate jaws to grip the top this will give you flexability and portability set up that can be adapted for different circumstances

you can use this setup without the top on with 1 tresel and a workmate or
2 tresels and the top as a table or workarea and use the workmate seperatly for hammering and bashing

or any other combination you like ;)

and just make shure the board will fit in the storage space you have earmarked for it

Sponsored Links
Lugging up and down from flat to car park will be no fun, so keep it lightweight.

I'd go for a pair of plastic sawhorses, a sheet of ply, and a few clamps like this, and a couple of speedclamps.

Deluks said:
Lugging up and down from flat to car park will be no fun, so keep it lightweight.

I'd go for a pair of plastic sawhorses, a sheet of ply, and a few clamps like this, and a couple of speedclamps.

Cheers :D Seems like there isn't a big advantage to having a workmate then. I will have a small storage area in the carpark, thankfully, so I'll go for the saw horses & ply idea for now.
Deluks - are the clamps to attach the ply to the sawhorse, for stability?
Thanks again.

neeway2000 said:
Cheers :D Seems like there isn't a big advantage to having a workmate then. I will have a small storage area in the carpark, thankfully, so I'll go for the saw horses & ply idea for now.
Deluks - are the clamps to attach the ply to the sawhorse, for stability?
Thanks again.

Dunno, never used 'em :LOL: If you drill holes in the ply top, you should be able to use them for clamping stuff down when working. Speed clamps are just a general necessity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back