IS anyone familiar with Primatic cylinders?

I though efficiancy regs said you couldn't fit them anymore. There must be a use for them somewhere if they're still in production!

Sponsored Links
I am pretty sure you can fit like for like, there is no requirement to upgrade on what would be classed as repairs.

I am pretty sure you can fit like for like, there is no requirement to upgrade on what would be classed as repairs.

that is my undrstanding , providing they are still available ?? like for like in an emergency repair situation eg leaker ? although any cylinder even fitted as part of a repair must incorperate dhw temp control C plan or unless it has just changed ?? a tap stat minimumn !!??

So what where saying here lads is we can turn it into a cplan?

and also pump it?:cool:

Sponsored Links
So what where saying here lads is we can turn it into a cplan?

and also pump it?:cool:

No not pump it , building regs 2006 state cylinder replacement

Where cylinders heated by gravity are replaced in an emergency situation (leaking) the customer should be advised to upgrade the controls to in-corperate boiler interlock , cylinder stat & M.V , (C-Plan) if this is declined the min' provision should be a thermo mechanical valve , tapstat ! A cylinder must not be changed unless the minimumn provision is provided!
A non electric (tap stat) does not meet building regs requirements for temp control unless the cylinder is replaced in an emergency !!

As I understand it now radio controlled cylinder stats are now mentioned in the revised building regs !!??

but what if the customer only wants like for like? its her house at the end of the day!

an if i was asked to do like for like I would, no one has any respect for gassafe building regs etc it is all just a money making scam for other people to get rich on the back of us engineers. ;)

but what if the customer only wants like for like? its her house at the end of the day!

an if i was asked to do like for like I would, no one has any respect for gassafe building regs etc it is all just a money making scam for other people to get rich on the back of us engineers. ;)

depends what you mean by gas safe regs ?? gas safe implement gas regs on behalf of the hse ! if the question is no one has repect for gas regs i would disagree , every rgi on here does ? (I would hope?)

On the subject of building regs & changing a cylinder & upgrading to dhw temp control ? No as an installer onre cannot force something onto someone that they do not want & are not prepared to pay for , however that does not stop you advising that it should be done , preferably having some type of written record of that advice estimate quote ect in order to cover yourself , joe public tends to forget what they were told in particular when they go to sell there house , or a know it all relative gets involved , one often hears about cowboy installers , one of the biggest problems are cowboy customers !!!

So as an engineer, if we do what the customer wants rather than as per building regs and fit no temp control what exactly are we leaving ourself open to? I mean is a GSR inspector that bothered about that stuff?

Also, there's a new reg which states that when replacing a cylinder that's supplied by a boiler with no overheat stat an energy cut-off device must be fitted. Just like an unvented cylinder has. It has to either shut off a 2 port valve or cut the SWL to the boiler.

Also, there's a new reg which states that when replacing a cylinder that's supplied by a boiler with no overheat stat an energy cut-off device must be fitted. Just like an unvented cylinder has. It has to either shut off a 2 port valve or cut the SWL to the boiler.[/quote]

Boiler with no high limit /overheat stat ???

As I understand it the revised regs due to come into force in October !!

The revised regs state that in exceptional circumstances such as an emergency replacement or where the cylinder or installation is of a type that precludes the fitting of wired controls either a wireless (radio) or thermomechanical cylinder stat will be exceptable , The change is the addition of a wireless stat as an option!
Source of imfo TACMA ( association of controls manu's)

Any adition of electrical hot water controls should incorperate boiler interlock as per 2006 regs !

It's in now afaik. Any boiler with no overheat device e.g. early mexico's and stuff like that.

I think it was brought in because of the posibility of scale blocking the vent/feed of the cylinder thus making it unvented. That's what I heard anyway!

An overheat safety device for a Primatic would have to be a boiler limit 'stat. You could fit a cyl 'stat to control the boiler when in DHW only mode; it would have to be overridden in CH + DHW.

Primatics are awful things!

so lads where we upto have you agreed on anything?

Cplan yes or no/ pumped yes or no?!

for me c plan yes (vent and cold feed not obstructed) and pumped yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back