IS anyone familiar with Primatic cylinders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new gas engineer (8years) and i havent come across one yet ,but is anyone familiar with Primatic Cylinders? How are they identified?
I have been told that if you need to work on the heating system and drain it down, than you will certainly have problems filling the system afterwards and bleeding the system due to the presence of an 'air bubble separating the hot water and heating water within the cylinder.
How on earth can this work? And how can you restore the air bubble when refilling the system

Sponsored Links
Just refill slowly, they're not usually a problem. The air bubble reforms by itself, don't add any chemicals though.

Basically it'll sort itself out when you drain the refill it. Best ways to identify it are...

You'll only have one header tank in the loft instead of two

The flow connection on the side will have no bleed/fill/vent point on it, it'll go straight from the cylinder to under the floor.

If you ever take one out it might be an idea to cut it in half and have a look, it's hard to explain how the work. It's like an upside down bucket inside.

Sponsored Links
you'll know when you drain the heating, it takes forever as its draing the water tank, cylinder and upstairs rads :mad:

err they can be used on pumped systems

however ive never seen it
splat.gif

err they can be used on pumped systems

however ive never seen it
splat.gif

I have some bloke down this way fitted a keston to a primatic cylinder ! seen several fitted to back boilers in mobile homes !
Always thought you could not pump a primatic , but you are now the 2nd person on here in the last few weeks who have said you can?? never new that !! :)

I've never seen female primaries on a primatic.
I have seen one with a pump, it was connected to a circulator rather than a boiler and the pump, I believe, has to be on the return (that could be just my imagination).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back