Is browning/bonding compatible with sand cement plaster??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like the plaster in my house is a sand cement mix (early 1950's bungalow).. There are a few spots all over the place where when tapped it sounds hollow.. I have been told I need to knock these areas out and fill them in.. Also the electrics and heating is being replaced so there are wall chases in each room that need to be filled..

If the plaster is a sand cement mix can I use browning or bonding plaster to fill up the areas where it's blown? or will it need to be a sand cement mix to be compatible with what is there already?

After its all been filled I plan to get a professional in to do the finishing skim and get it completely flat..

Sponsored Links
Browning or bonding will be fine. Just make sure you wet the area (old brush and bucket of water) before you apply the plaster. And make sure that you cover electrics with a cap and pipes with a wrap before plastering.

Browning or bonding will be fine. Just make sure you wet the area (old brush and bucket of water) before you apply the plaster. And make sure that you cover electrics with a cap and pipes with a wrap before plastering.

For brick walls is browning or bonding plater better? or it one of those questions that has no correct answer but everyone has an opinion on? :)

Electrical wires are all in a conduit so that should be fine for covering over..

What should the heating pipes be wrapped with?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
If no damp issues I would use Hardwall onto clean bricks instead of bonding, and never browning.

Edit - BG spec probably says that is 'correct'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back