Is it a new dpc or not - advice needed on damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gable wall in hallway running through to under stairs cupboard that is showing damp (wet) patches. These can come and go depending on hall humidity. It has reached a point where action is needed as I am unable to decorate. There appears to be no obvious external signs of a problem eg leaking gutters, downspouts or render problems. Attached are a few pics showing the problem. I also have damp/wet problem on one internal wall in the front lounge - see pic. Without opening up a debate on DPCs and existence of rising damp, is there any circumstance where you would hack off all plaster to 1m and install chemical (cream) DPC? In my circumstance I can’t see an alternative, the plaster is shot. I am at a loss what to do and do not want to waste up to £1k if not necessary. I have had similar quotes and advice from 3 companies. All said rising damp and all suggested same approach to remedy the problem – hack off/chem DPC etc. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2434.JPG
    IMG_2434.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 293
Sponsored Links
How old is the property, what's the walls, eg solid or cavity? A few external photos would be usefull.

How old is the property, what's the walls, eg solid or cavity? A few external photos would be usefull.
It's a semi, built early 30s, think it is cavity wall but will need to check. Will sort some external photos tomorrow, a bit dark outside now

Get a survey done by someone who has no interest in selling you damp treatment work.

Sponsored Links
IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2443.JPG
I have a gable wall in hallway running through to under stairs cupboard that is showing damp (wet) patches. These can come and go depending on hall humidity. It has reached a point where action is needed as I am unable to decorate. There appears to be no obvious external signs of a problem eg leaking gutters, downspouts or render problems. Attached are a few pics showing the problem. I also have damp/wet problem on one internal wall in the front lounge - see pic. Without opening up a debate on DPCs and existence of rising damp, is there any circumstance where you would hack off all plaster to 1m and install chemical (cream) DPC? In my circumstance I can’t see an alternative, the plaster is shot. I am at a loss what to do and do not want to waste up to £1k if not necessary. I have had similar quotes and advice from 3 companies. All said rising damp and all suggested same approach to remedy the problem – hack off/chem DPC etc. Any advice appreciated.

Update Sunday 24 Sept - a few external pics now attached. Dashing has been on about 15 years

At a guess, the patio could be a bit high.

Where is the damp proof course? I can't see it on your photos for sure, but I suspect it's the mortar line, where the air-vent is sat on? Can you see it?

If this has failed, I think your only solution will to inject.
If the wall is solid (maybe) then you can drill in dry-rod into the mortar line below, this will flow along the mortar and make a new kind of DPC.

Had similar problem on a wall, its also rendered, turned out, old internal concrete floor was one brick too high and no membrane, since digging this out and suspending floor with new joists & air vents, the problem has gone.

If you can get expert help for £50 it's worth a punt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back