Chemcial DPC or damp proof membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum and rather new to diy too, and was after a few opinions on what's the best option for curing damp?

I'm currently in the proccess of buying a 2 bed mid terrace with quite a few damp problems. Rising damp throughout the ground floor, due to a failed chemical dpc, damp solid floors and a completely damp kitchen due to the damp from an old leak in the bathroom above meeting the rising damp, and a bit of damp left over in the bathroom from the same leak.

I've been advised that there are two paths I could follow (after fixing the bathroom leak) to sort the problem out. Firstly, taking the plaster off all the walls to 1m high, and completely off in the kitchen, injecting a new chemical DPC, then replastering and painting liquid dpc onto the solid floors. Secondly putting damp proof membrane on all the walls and floor and replastering over the top.

The first option seems to be the cheapest, but since a chemical dpc has failed in the past I'm worried it may again, and I'd like to get the problem sorted this time, not come back to it again in 5 years. The damp proof membrane on the other hand is rather expensive, and due to budget constraints I'd need to do as much of the fitting work on it as possible, but have never done work like it before. Many of the companies selling damp proof membranes seem to think that fitting them is a diy job, but has anyone on here worked with them before?

Any advice about which option would work better, or how to go about fitting a damp proof membrane, would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back