stud partitions on top of damp floor with membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some builders refurbishing a flat that has rising damp - the concrete floor was measured as very damp all over and apparently was laid almost without any damp proofing.

We got a damp guy who injected a new DPC and rendered the walls about 50 cm high (till 20cm above the DPC) with a waterproofing render.

To damp proof the floor, we are putting down tanking liquid, then damp proof sheeting (overlapped etc.) then laying tiles. This largely came as a compromise as we didn't want the cost of digging up and laying the concrete.

Problem is the bungling contractor hasn't started the "damp proofing" of the floor and instead has done almost all of the internal studwork partitioning first - screwing the studs directly to the damp concrete floor!

I would have thought, he should have put the tanking stuff and membrane down before building the studs. Also at the very least I'm guessing there should have been some form of membrane put down below the stud frame - there wasn't. And I'm sure he didn't use anything as clever as stainless steel screws and resin sealing or something.

I was sitting here in the office and suddenly broken out in cold sweat realising he's done things in the wrong order! (Although I've been on site almost every day, it didn't occur to me until now.)

So is the damp proofing entirely knackered? Should I insists they take down all the studwork (it's already plastered) and put it back up after they have sealed the floor?

I'm nervous I'm now going to have damp issues with the future tenants forever!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back