is it ok to bury pvc pipe under screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I hope you can help.

i wanted to know if it is ok to bury barrier pipe in screed? i have a coupler that connects to copper and pvc pipe in the bathroom and need to bury it with screed, i can lag the pipe to protect it, but would it be a problem in the future?>

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
but would it be a problem in the future?>

Only if it leaked. ;)
Use compression and test it to about 8 bar. If it holds that then its fine.

If you have no means to pressure test then leave it accessible.

thanks for the reply.

i had a leak under the bathroom tiles when the system was upgraded to megaflow. the copper pipe that was there had a crack for a long time, but due to high pressure system, it open and wasnt good.

so i was thinking to use barrier pipe with a pvc coupler (grey couple, twist lock) that will connectg to the copper pipe. i will lag the pipe might as well, but i wont be able to pressur etest it, but will leave it open for 2 days or so where i can make sure it wont burst. but would screed over time damage it?

thanks in advance

Screed damages copper, but with plastic its more to do with expansion, especially in hot water or heating pipework, if theres no room to expand it could cause the seals in the fittings to go or cause splitting.
It's always best to give it space and cover it up. If it's just a repair you could insulate the exposed pipe and then wrap around that with plastic sheeting or damp proof membrane to keep the screed off it.

Alex

Sponsored Links
thank you

so it is ok to use barrier pipe, but to put membrane plastic over it, so the screed doesnt touch which also will give it room to expand? i will be onl needing to repair about 1.5 metre which have that is in screed.

thank you

i forgot to mention that the prob i have is that it is under a bath tile, what i had before was all pipe in screed, we upgraded the system and the pipe had a small crack in it and got larger due to pressure system. so now i have dug up the screed and tried to free the pipe as much as possible so i can repair it, but the problem is that it will be difficult to use copper again as the trench has many pipes going through it and therefore copper will be hard to use.

so i am thinking to use pvc and where it goes into the bath, there will be a coupler joining the copper, the pipe i can protect with membrane but i wont be able to get to the coupler if i tile over it as it is a bath floor. the best i can do is prob put the membrane on, and feed the pipe through a 20mm pvc tube to protect it, but i can leave room for expansion for the coupler and pipe. do ou think that would be a problem?

thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back