Speedfit Pipe and Copper - Can you screed and plaster over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you run JG 15mm barrier speed fit Pipe under screed or will this attack it?

And what should you do with Copper to protect it under the screed? and as running pipes down wall can you plaster over it?

I am chasing through the pipes and leaving them til screed and plasering is done.

Sponsored Links
No. Water Regulations apply to this sort of thing. Speedfit should be run in a sleeve, so that it can be withdrawn and replaced if necessary. the sleeve can be a purpose made one, or you could use a larger size of plastic pipe. Do a search on water regulations and you should find a link.

RecentlyI specified a system where the bulk of the work was done by a builder. I spec'd a plastic floor conduit wuth a ply lid he didn't use - too expensive. He used tubein tube conduit, and sort of wrapped stuff over te speedfit joints . He water pressure tested it then screeded over.
COnnected boiler, which lost pressure in half an hour.
It turned out that two of the speedfit joints, though assembled correctly, were squirting water out which was going through the punctured :rolleyes: dpc. There was NO sign of damp on the surface :!: . We found the leaks by cutting and capping the pipe, which as you can imagine took a while with 10 rads.

That'll be a "no" then. ;)

Sponsored Links
i am on about just fitting actual pipe under screed, not fittings, just pipe to take to other end of kitchen

chrishutt said:
No. Water Regulations apply to this sort of thing. Speedfit should be run in a sleeve, so that it can be withdrawn and replaced if necessary. the sleeve can be a purpose made one, or you could use a larger size of plastic pipe. Do a search on water regulations and you should find a link.

How does this apply to the underfloor heating kits that Hep2o and others supply???

Underfloor heating is a different matter. The pipework is not subject to the same regulations as water supply or gas pipework.

The problem with burying plastic water supply pipe in screed is not to do with corrosion (which is clearly not a problem if the same pipe is used for underfloor heating) but the need to comply with regulations (which presumably have some reason behind them?).

Ok with regard to burying copper pipe, what should you cover it with, people say sleeve but what type can you buy it and where???

As I said the Water Regulations cover this. What do the regs say? Do you know how to do a search for these things?

yes know how to search, but just asking simply what you use to sleeve it, thats what forums are for!

just asking simply what you use to sleeve it
It's not that simple. Will the copper pipe have joints? Would you be able to remove and replace it if there was a problem?

I would have thought you'd be better off using plastic pipe in sleeve because you can have long lengths and bends without fittings (which you do not want to bury - see ChrisR's post) and you can withdraw and replace it.

yes part of the copper has one elbow on it, but the other room will have all plastic pipe which I will find some sleeve but not sure where from as Screwfix or B&Q have any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back