Is it ok to leave a very small amount of wallpaper glue on plaster before priming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to leave a small, smooth amount of wallpaper glue, seemingly perfectly level with the plaster to the eye and touch before priming with a dedicated primer? I can get it all off in little 3 by 3'' patches with hot, soapy, vinegary, bicarbonate of soda water but it takes a lot of hard scrubbing and I've got a house worth of big walls to go. It would take a long time and maybe wear out my arm at this rate.
20200908_140533.jpg
20200908_140520.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is glue?

Not distemper?

How old is the house?

You can get paste off by spraying it with warm water to soften it, then scraping of the sludge with a broad metal scraper.

BTW vinegar and bicarbonate neutralise each other.

Pretty sure it's not distemper (first I've ever hear of it and just looked it up), I scraped off wallpaper and as much of what I think is glue that I could and now my scraper won't affect what's left as it's very smooth after scrubbing with my solution. I'm hoping I've got rid of enough with my scrubbing, that's been quite hard already, to not have to really put my back into it to get it to completely bare plaster. It seems like what's left might even work some way towards being a primer. Using a better solution might help too, thanks a lot for pointing out my mistake with vinegar and bicarb.

The whiter patches feel smoother than the grey plaster but not glossy as some describe wallpaper glue sometimes being after scraping on here.

Sponsored Links
How old is the house?

What colour is the stuff you scrub off?

Might be supermatt.

I don't know, maybe 40-60? No newer than mid century.

20200908_145233.jpg
Here's a photo of some of the remaining wallpaper and what can be seen of what I've been scraping and scrubbing off.

have you got a pump-up plant-mister?

it looks like the paper is painted woodchip, which is horrible.

mist it repeatedly with warm water and a tiny spot of WUL. It will slowly soak through.

scrape it off with your broad metal scraper.

A wallpaper steamer does a good job too.
However, glue is a biatch and won't come peacefully.

I just removed ancient paper from my stairwell walls, the paste left behind would have withstood a nuclear explosion.
Had to sand the walls down in the end, very messy but didnt take too long.

Personally, I would recommend lining the walls prior to painting them. You will (read:should) get a much better finish. Tiny amounts of residual glue will not be an issue.

Other than washing up liquid and warm water, you could use Zinsser DIF, it is an enzyme based solution that breaks down the starch in the glue. Or sand the glue away with a DA sander connected to a dust extractor.

Personally, I would recommend lining the walls prior to painting them. You will (read:should) get a much better finish. Tiny amounts of residual glue will not be an issue.

Other than washing up liquid and warm water, you could use Zinsser DIF, it is an enzyme based solution that breaks down the starch in the glue. Or sand the glue away with a DA sander connected to a dust extractor.

Thanks, leaving some of the residual glue will save me a lot of time and effort. What's lining? I was planning on a couple of layers of primer before painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back