Is it possible to remove bar from window to make bigger one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
We've got a kitchen window which looks into our mini-conservatory. The window used to be an external window hence all the openings. Since the middle window of the kitchen window was smashed a couple of weeks ago this needs replacing. I was wondering though, seeing as we don't need all the openings in the window anymore, if it's possible to take out the smaller window above this smashed window pane, cut out the wooden bar separating the two, and putting in a bigger piece of replacement glass to make one bigger window in the middle??
Apologies if that doesn't sound very clear, but I'm new to all this!! I've attached a photo of the window set up as it is now, plus a (not very good!) photoshopped photo showing the bar that I was thinking of removing.
My main concern is that by removing this bar, would it make the window frame considerably weaker, and therefore make it unsafe?? I don't want the wall caving in!!
Thanks! View media item 46062 View media item 46061

Sponsored Links
It will be fine to remove that timber - with the panes removed and the hinges removed from the opening sash, saw through the timber in the centre and bend the timber up and down until they come free. You will be left with mortice holes though, which will be best to fill.
John :)

Excellent! Thanks for the advice...I'll give it a go! :)

You will of coufrse be left with a "stepped" rebate as the casement at the moment sits in a deeper rebate than the glass. Still it's a relatively easy job to plant a strip in to even it all out.

Sponsored Links
To fill the mortice holes, why not cut the ends off the bits you take out and glue them in the holes they came out. Should be a perfect fit an better than filler :)

Update:
I did finally get round to doing this last week...and the house is still standing! ;)
I ended up cutting the ends off as suggested and stuck them in the holes..so thanks for that! It's looking good..just need to paint it all now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back