Astragal/Georgian bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just wondered if any of you DIY gurus could assist me with a quick query about astragal/Georgian bars.

I have a relatively old house but the previous owner has installed some really horrible UPVC windows. Apologies if this is not the technical term, but the windows installed are currently all "plain" (i.e. they have no astragal/georgian bars)

I was wondering if it is possible to attach Georgian bars to the existing windows (rather than replacing all 8 of them which I cannot afford). My questions are as follows:

1) Where would I purchase the Georgian bars?
2) What glue(?) would I use to attach the bars to the glass?
3) What sort of price do you feel is reasonable per window?
4) Would it be cheaper to insert astragal bars instead? (NB: I understand astragal bars are sealed WITHIN the window, whereas Georgian bars are attached to the OUTSIDE of the window).

Please see the attached photo. This should hopefully give you an idea re: what I am trying to acheive.

Many thanks for all your kind help.

Plugged_sage.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 381
Sponsored Links
Georgian bars are the bars within the sealed nit , and you can get them in 18mm wide or 25mm wide ...this is your easier option as its a case of ordering new sealed units with them already in and then just replacing

Astragal Bars are the ones fixed on the outside of the unit , normally over a 'duplex' layout within the sealed unit ( the sealed unit is dividided up within the bigger pane , so that when the bars are placed on it looks like individual panes from the outside). You can put the astragal bars on without the duplex unit , but you will see all the clips and adhesive. The biggest problem is finding the correct profiling tools to match the beading on your windows to make it look right ( all joints are mitred over the w indow beads..)
Another huge downside of astragal bars is , if you have your windows cleaned by a window cleaner , they tend to keep knocking them and then the adhesive fails and they start to fall off.....but on saying that they do look really good if done right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back